Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

6 cyl Gaskets (head)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-10, 02:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
Posts: 235
Default 6 cyl Gaskets (head)

As Kevin chose not to post my helpful note,( Typical)
Here it is again,

There is a 6 cyl gasket New on British ebay at the moment 179.00 I think.

Nick,

Small Member
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-10, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: York
Posts: 808
Default

I've seen V8 engines go for less ! Crazy price for a gasket set.

Maybe one of the clubs should ask a gasket company for a price on a batch.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-10, 07:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
Posts: 235
Default 6 cyl Gaskets (head)

Well Large Member,

When I saw the price that Eric was mentioning I thought I would post it,
but perhaps there was a little exaggeration in his posting.

Small member (nicked) my life!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-10, 08:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Challacombe View Post
When I saw the price that Eric was mentioning....
but perhaps there was a little exaggeration in his postiing
Yes of course .... funny to read that all my post are suspected to be fake
I paid @ BCL 166.85 VAT incl ... note this price was for faulty cylinder head gasket if you remember
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-10, 11:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Challacombe View Post
As Kevin chose not to post my helpful note,( Typical)
What are you talking about? The system is AUTOMATED, nothing is moderated or viewed by me or anyone else before it goes on line, as evidenced by your last barbed post.

The reason your "helpful note" didn't show up was because you tried to post it into a discussion thread that had been closed.

You then received an AUTOMATED message letting you know this and the only reason that I knew about it was because of your stroppy reply to the AUTOMATED message, which came to the webmaster.

I don't mind helping out new members of the site who have difficulty posting, but I have better things to do with my time than hand hold people who have been using the site for years but can't be bothered to understand how it works.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-10, 11:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 152
Default Thanks

Kevin,

Just a quick note to thank you for the thankless task of running a forum and occasionally trying to herd cats.

Claude
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 11:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 28
Default Thanks

I'd just like to second that if I may

Jasa
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: York
Posts: 808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brumenil View Post
Yes of course .... funny to read that all my post are suspected to be fake
I paid @ BCL 166.85 VAT incl ... note this price was for faulty cylinder head gasket if you remember
If I remember right - the gasket wasn't faulty. It just needed adapting for your engine by drilling another hole. ? They had not informed you about that.

Is that correct ?

It seems that the price BCL charged was competitive but should have had more instructions if an amateur was fitting it. It seems they made the mistake of assuming a professional mechanic would be fitting the gasket and would notice that it needed a slight modification.

Always wrong to assume.

I don't mind tackling most mechanical jobs, but things like head gaskets I leave to the professionals. Mainly because it's such a ball ache to strip down and do again if it goes wrong ! I have done loads on motorcycles because they are easy to get to and deal with.

Got to know your limits.

Last edited by GREG; 20-11-10 at 12:05 PM. Reason: none
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG View Post
If I remember right - the gasket wasn't faulty. It just needed adapting for your engine by drilling another hole. ?
Faulty? Inferior? Incorrect? - just semantics.

The fact is it needed adapting for Bristol engines. Which might be acceptible if it came from Halfords, but it didn't, it apparently came from Bristol, who say on their web site;

"We crave instead integrity of purpose and an unmatched level of engineering perfection."
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Default

Greg
Why should I agree to buy a faulty cylinder head gasket ?
I ordered and paid it to a company that claim to have 65 years of experience !
Of course I have NOT been informed about the problem
and more serious , they didn't know about this problem .
As previously written , dozens of cars have this gasket installed and I am the only one to complaint ( as always )
In case I had been informed , I would NEVER accept to buy a faulty goods or a goods that needs to be punched for the simple reason that when you touch it , for sure the supplier will make you immediately responsible of the problem and the loss of warranty .

I have never asked for faulty goods or cheap goods when .
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 12:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
Posts: 235
Default 6 cyl Gaskets (head)

Many apologies Kevin,
Us old gits are sometime a little curmudgeonly and do not realise peoples
sensitivity.
The first thing to go as you get older are your social graces, mine seem to
have left me with that posting.
I love your forum and do contribute when I feel I can help but I only have
knowledge of 11 years with
a 407.
I bought the 407 at a time when I could not walk or drive and it has been a
lifeline to me as have the Bristol Community
on the Forums.
I miss the ascorbic comments of some contributors who no longer appear, at
least under the names they started with, keep up
the good work, the postings make my day every day and I read all of them
avidly.

Thank you again,

Nick, unlike Greg, small member!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 01:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin H View Post
it apparently came from Bristol, who say on their web site;
"We crave instead integrity of purpose and an unmatched level of engineering perfection."
In my humble opinion this is a lack of knowledge and a couldn't care less attitude .
It is not normal that a "genial director" sells such faulty goods
Why don't they sell good cylinder head gaskets ?

I have been invited to purchase everything for my Arnolt-Bristol at the factory because of their experience in this particular domain

The argument was "who better than us can give you the best result"
That was enough to give all my confidence
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 02:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nr Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brumenil View Post
As previously written , dozens of cars have this gasket installed and I am the only one to complaint ( as always )
I wonder how many cars are in fact driving around with this "holeless" gasket and concerned about overheating. Indeed I wonder if I am. Certainly on hot days (>25C) I start to get a bit concerned when the temp rises to 95+.
Interestingly the gasket on ebay also has this hole missing and appears to have the same date as Eric's ie 23.5.89 so presumably a common source.
I just wish there was a simple way of checking "hole or no hole"!

Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 02:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I wonder how many cars are in fact driving around with this "holeless" gasket and concerned about overheating. Indeed I wonder if I am. Certainly on hot days (>25C) I start to get a bit concerned when the temp rises to 95+.
Interestingly the gasket on ebay also has this hole missing and appears to have the same date as Eric's ie 23.5.89 so presumably a common source.
I just wish there was a simple way of checking "hole or no hole"!

Regards
Richard
As previously written by someone , it's probably BMW 328 gaskets

In my humble opinion , if engineers decided to add an extra hole circa the 6th cylinder ... I may reasonably think that it's because they had an overheating problem or they wanted to improve the cooling

Everybody is free to accept if whether or not it's important . But I have a tendency to trust in the experience of engineers who decided to make an extra hole

As for me , original gasket is supposed to be as it is in original drawings

Is it normal that no recall has been made ?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 03:28 PM
Ex Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CANADA
Posts: 131
Default 6 cyl Gaskets (head)

I don't think BCL was selling a defective product. It was a gasket that
worked for BMW and one little hole may make a 10% difference in cooling.
The BIG issue was the lack of a satisfactory answer to the client and by
sayng he was the only one to complain, it was sort of blaming the customer.
I disagree with the comments made that a professional installer would have
seen the difference. Maybe.... maybe not.
What all this has shown us is that there has been some "overselling" by BCL.
They gets their supplies of spares were they can...same as the rest of us.
Therefore shopping with BCL, B May, Spencer Lane Jones, the Australian club
and others may well be all the same.
Claude brought up his hub cap issue...and years later his hub cap is still
"under observation" at BCL or perhaps used as an ashtray! A refund or the
offer of a discount on future purchases would have been a more appropriate
answer.
All a matter of communication.
Cheers,
Dorien
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 116
Default 6 cyl Gaskets (head)

Now Eric for once I do agree with you.
It might even have been me that mentioned the BMW 328 but simply as a guess,
and because the packaging was written in german, wasn't it?
Doesn't someone know both engines, who could resolve this?
What did Bristol say? Or did you not ask?
Ian.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 04:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Default

BMW 328 seems to be different
I found this web site in Czech Republic
http://www.bmw328.net/downloads/ersatzteilliste.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 04:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Wales.
Posts: 421
Default 6 cyl Gaskets (head)

If you click the link to other item from the seller of this gasket you will find a listing and contact details for TT Workshops, also a listing for a different pre war BMW gasket. It must either be TT Workshops or someone connected with them who is selling this gasket. Ask seller a question perhaps?
TT have worked on pre war BMW's and Bristol's for as long as I can remember so their thoughts on the matter would be quite interesting.
Geoff.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 04:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nr Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbond View Post
and because the packaging was written in german, wasn't it?
Doesn't someone know both engines, who could resolve this?
Because it was written in German doesn't mean it was German! Noting a grammatical error (!), I looked up the manufacturer, Spesso, and they appear to be Italian, Home page

I am certainly not a BMW 328 expert but there is a Czech website, :: www.bmw328.net :: which offers spares for the BMW 328. On this website there is a picture of the original block and head gasket which I have copied into the attached file and compared with Eric's pictures. Lo and behold to my untrained eyes, the BMW appears also has that elusive hole!

Also don't forget that many BMW 328's have Bristol heads.

By the way the gasket on the Czech site costs 72 Euros!

Hope this is of interest
Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comparison BMW 328 and Bristol block.pdf (287.9 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 20-11-10, 04:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbond View Post
What did Bristol say?
Ian.
A genial director sold me a special cylinder head gasket for 163.3
See photo attached !
When I came to my machine shop with this rarity , the guy was laughing !
First because the thickness of the gasket was about 2.5 mm instead of 1 mm , modifying the volumetric ratio and he told me that copper cylinder head gaskets are not exactely appropriated for high volumetric ratio ( 10:1 in my case )

For the surplus : I have just one right .... to shut up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Special Cyl Head gasket.jpg (56.4 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 AM.


This is the live site

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2