Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Non Bristol Forums > Restoration and Repair - non specific

Restoration and Repair - non specific Restoration and repair of non-Bristol cars

Power Steering Conversion

Old 01-04-10, 11:30 AM

Default Power Steering Conversion

Yes you are, big time.
Quote from factory some time ago to change rack,box,mountings,supply
pump,brackets etc £10,000.00
Old 06-06-10, 02:35 PM

The ACCS electronic power steering system is working very well. They charge about £1500 for the conversion.

If anyone is considering it I have a couple of Corsa steering columns going cheap ! This should cut the price down a bit.

Maybe worth doing on the pre V8's ?

Greg
Old 22-07-10, 10:57 PM

Hi

I'm away until Sunday night. Call me on 0272 820 000 or Sue on 021 511446 or email suepepper@xtra.co.nz

I will be checking my emails, but only at the beginning and end of day.

P
Old 22-07-10, 11:05 PM

Hi

I'm away until Sunday night. Call me on 0272 820 000 or Sue on 021 511446 or email suepepper@xtra.co.nz

I will be checking my emails, but only at the beginning and end of day.

P
Old 24-07-10, 04:14 PM

Smile Electric Power Steering

Thank you Greg,
I am still interested, so I will talk to Martin Barns, I already have a 409 steering box fitted which I believe was a "factory" mod done in the early 60's.
I thought the idea had gone quiet, as nothing had been posted.

Nick 6028
Old 21-09-14, 10:31 AM

Default EPS - Do it your self

Hi,

First post here.

I recently installed electric power steering in a 1966 Mustang, I thought I would share the step by step, "how to" in case anyone wants to give it a try. One approach if wanting to keep original look in the engine bay but still have power assist.

I have made countless modifications to this car and this is the best one to date.

The EPS units are plentiful (and inexpensive) in the bone yard. Fabrication and installation is not difficult if your somewhat handy with tools.

I designed a controller that automatically adjusts the assist level with speed, one finger in the parking lot and sports car feel from 5MPH up. Much better feel than hydraulic (no floaty feeling on the highway). No hydraulics, pumps, belts, leaks or noise.

The write-up is ongoing with a lot of pictures so instead of posting in multiple places you can follow along here: Best $200 mod ever (EPS). - Page 7 - Vintage Mustang Forums

Details on the installation start in post #97

This is what it looked like just before final installation. http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/a...1&d=1411295386

If you have any questions just ask, and feel free to critique.

slow-poke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Complete.JPG (608.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-12-14, 12:01 AM

Default Power steering

Just come across the forum whilst looking for something else, but after reading through felt I should let you know that this year I have converted a 405 DH and a 408 saloon for customers, I am the UK agent for the Dutch company EZ, of which there was mention, we design and build bespoke electric columns for around 500 different classic and sports cars, from cira 1910 to the latest 2014 Alfa 4C
Our columns are built to replicate the original with the powered unit hidden up under the dash out of sight. A 405 column is almost 5 foot long, we build a complete new column from the lower rubber joint to the spline shaft that the steering wheel attaches with our motorised unit built in. We build in both negative and positive earth, RHD/ LHD our systems are speed sensitive and have personal driver adjustment to set your own level of assistance. Our systems are built to tough TUV standards, and have a two year warentee, the cost of a Bristol 401-405 -408 conversion at my workshop in Devon would be £3348.00 including the VAT. P.S. Nice stand at the NEC, I picked up a copy of the bulletin. Regards Mike Waters