Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Other Bristol engined cars

Other Bristol engined cars Arnolt, AC, Frazer Nash, Cooper, Lister, Lotus, Tojeiro

What's it like to drive an Arnolt Bristol

Old 30-03-14, 04:40 PM

Default What's it like to drive an Arnolt Bristol

I wonder if you guys might be able to help me. I have for sale from a private client a wonderful Arnolt Bristol Bolide. The Bolide is in storage with many other cars in CA. I have a prospective buyer for the Bolide in Glendale IL.

The prospective buyer is not so sold on the AB's looks - However he already owns an AC Bristol, a Bristol 400 and we are looking for an Aceca with a Bristol engine so the AB is a natural addition to his collection. I have assured him that the AB will grow on him but that he should drive one first to determine whether or not this is the car for him. After all it is all about the driving experience is it not? And this is an excellent car for Vintage events.

Which leads me to the subject of my post. Getting it out on the open road might prove a problem. It is in a museum type of setting. I wonder if some AB owner's can give us some input.

What is it like to drive your Arnolt Bristol? My buyer is not a big guy - around 5' 8'' so fit is not a consideration. Can you give me some pros and cons (hopefully more pros than cons) to convince my buyer he is going to enjoy this sweet little car on the open road.

Thanking you in advance.

Kelly
Old 30-03-14, 06:25 PM

Default Driving an Arnolt Bristol on the street.

I have owned four Arnolt Bristols, two of which were licensed for the street. I raced all four. I drove the first one as my primary transportation including 40 miles round trip every day on San Fernando Valley streets and the second one, occasionally, on 60 mile round trips on freeways. I also drove the second one several hundred miles, between races, in New Zealand. What I can say about it is that it is as good a car for driving on the street as any other sports car that I have owned. If there is a drawback, it might be the lack of bumpers on the Bolide, but that was never a problem for me. Seating was fine; I'm 6'1", but there are two slots in the bracket ahead of the rear one that I used. The car has excellent handling and good power for a 2050 pound car. I bought the first one because I was frequently beaten by one in my Triumph TR2.

I keep a list of Arnolt Bristols at:http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...oD&hl=en#gid=0
If this car is not on it, I would appreciate it if you would contact me at the listed address. Bill Watkins
Old 30-03-14, 07:27 PM

I suggest you talk to; Bill Pope, who has an extensive collection and really enjoys the Arnolts he has, Dale Walmsly represents a large collection, including an Arnolt, Tojeiro etc. and Walter Scott, also an excellent collection and who's Arnolt just took second in class at Amelia Island. I will email all of them with your info so they can reply directly to you.

Peter
Old 30-03-14, 09:54 PM
Banned

Default An Arnolt Bristol? Seriously?

The very limited market could command a museum-level price, for a museum piece. So many fun cars out there that would provide much more fun on the road than this relic. S.H. Arnolt special with a Bristol engine? There is a quarter million dollar buyer out there somewhere, I think..........
Old 31-03-14, 04:31 PM

Default AB owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412usa View Post
I suggest you talk to; Bill Pope, who has an extensive collection and really enjoys the Arnolts he has, Dale Walmsly represents a large collection, including an Arnolt, Tojeiro etc. and Walter Scott, also an excellent collection and who's Arnolt just took second in class at Amelia Island. I will email all of them with your info so they can reply directly to you.

Peter
Peter thank you for forwarding my info. Look forward to speaking with them.
Old 31-03-14, 04:36 PM

Default Driving an AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by briwmw View Post
I have owned four Arnolt Bristols, two of which were licensed for the street. I raced all four. I drove the first one as my primary transportation including 40 miles round trip every day on San Fernando Valley streets and the second one, occasionally, on 60 mile round trips on freeways. I also drove the second one several hundred miles, between races, in New Zealand. What I can say about it is that it is as good a car for driving on the street as any other sports car that I have owned. If there is a drawback, it might be the lack of bumpers on the Bolide, but that was never a problem for me. Seating was fine; I'm 6'1", but there are two slots in the bracket ahead of the rear one that I used. The car has excellent handling and good power for a 2050 pound car. I bought the first one because I was frequently beaten by one in my Triumph TR2.

I keep a list of Arnolt Bristols at:http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...oD&hl=en#gid=0
If this car is not on it, I would appreciate it if you would contact me at the listed address. Bill Watkins
Thank you Bill. I've sent your reply with a link to the site to my client and advised him to join the forum. The car is already on your list. It is matching numbers, four owners from new - just out of restoration and has a nice documented race history. It is all that. It will be a nice addition to his collection and he will drive it - it won't sit around being just another pretty face.
Old 31-03-14, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald G. Stephenson View Post
The very limited market could command a museum-level price, for a museum piece. So many fun cars out there that would provide much more fun on the road than this relic. S.H. Arnolt special with a Bristol engine? There is a quarter million dollar buyer out there somewhere, I think..........
So I take it you are not a fan of Arnolt Bristols?
Old 01-04-14, 10:36 AM

Default Arnolt Or Not To Arnolt?

Kelly,
Your client would not like the car.
However, if the complete and fully refurbished machine is on the market for less than $40k, please let me know. I think that I could find space in my garage for it!

Brett
Old 01-04-14, 02:03 PM

Default AB offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK6 View Post
Kelly,
Your client would not like the car.
However, if the complete and fully refurbished machine is on the market for less than $40k, please let me know. I think that I could find space in my garage for it!

Brett
Brett,

That offer is just downright Wacky.

Kelly