Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Other Bristol engined cars

Other Bristol engined cars Arnolt, AC, Frazer Nash, Cooper, Lister, Lotus, Tojeiro

Arnolt Bristol Floors

Old 24-02-14, 10:48 PM

Default Arnolt Bristol Floors

Hello!
I am looking for material to make new floors for our Arnolt Bristol. They are panels of aluminum sandwich with asbestos or press board in the middle. I can't seem to find anything like it. I would also need the little nut cages for the fasteners. Does anyone know about this stuff?
Thanks!
Old 24-02-14, 11:19 PM

Default not cages for Arnolt Bristol

Don't know about the floor panels but Landrover Series
Ones have the same/very similar nut cage. Good luck!
Old 25-02-14, 12:31 PM

Default "Clinch Nuts"/"Nut Serts"

Nigel,
I know that it is not original, but the next best thing is the modern "clinch nut" which is, as you know, a nut which can be riveted into sheet metal. Your friendly fastener shop will have a whole range of sizes/head detail. You may consider buying an insert tool - a fancy type of "pop" rivet type gun. Hint - don't squeeze too hard- you will break the hardened mandrels!

I have used fire resistant board when silver soldering my prewar brass windsheild frames together - I am not sure of its specific trade name, but it is black and it is heat resistant ie I can silver solder brass sheet either side of the fire resistant material which acts as a distance piece for my brass surrounds - the material is inert in the chrome bath. One could put the heat resistant material as the "meat" in the aluminium sandwhich.

I guess that the next best solution would be to use marine grade aluminium panels with suitable stiffeners/cross breaks pressed into them as per other sports cars.

Brett
Old 25-02-14, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to look into some thin marine plywood and try to make the sandwich. I also like the idea of the panel nut inserts, we have a set already. I'm going to run it past the owner, we could make all the nut cages by hand. It would take forever and cost a fortune, but it would be very close to correct. I'd be making those little buggers all day!
Old 26-02-14, 02:42 AM

Ken Oakes the chief draftsman at Brlstol Cars during the Arnolt period tells me that the material is Armourply or Mallite made by William Mallison and Sons and supplied to the aero industry at the time. Armourply uses a plywood core and Mallite uses a balsa core. Mallite was used in certain locations on Concord and was also used in Cosworth and McLaren F1 cars in the 60's. the difficulty is now trying to find some as Wm. Mallison are no longer in business.

I'm making some floor panels at the moment. The firewall uses .0310 aluminum either side of the ply. I think the floor is a little thicker. Perhaps .05

I have a supply of the cadge nuts, they were made in New Zealand. How many do you need? Contact me on Mcgou@msn.com
Peter
Old 01-03-14, 08:33 PM

Default Cage nuts

I am the New Zealand source of cage nuts. I had lots of them laser cut and also have the screws, nuts (1/4"W) and rivets, although Peter may be closer.

Regards, Stuart
Old 03-03-14, 03:46 PM

Thank you for your help guys! I am having a dialog with our customer about how he would like the floors done. I feel we will be reproducing them as close to original as we can. I will be needing those cage nuts if we do. I have found the materials for the floor locally. I will get back to you when I know which way we are to proceed.
Old 21-03-14, 12:17 AM

Nigel, What is the name of the flooring material you have found. It may save me the trouble of making the sandwich panels.
Old 21-03-14, 02:27 PM

I have found the materials to make the floors locally, not finished panels. Sorry for the confusion. It is going to be a bit tricky to make the floors with the bend in the firewall piece. I think I may have to build some kind of buck to make the panels with the bend in them.
Old 24-03-14, 05:45 AM

I would use a brake to bend the panel after it is built. I'm sure it will have the flexibility for the shallow bend.
Peter