Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

LED upgrade

Old 17-04-24, 09:12 PM

Default LED upgrade

I am told that LED upgrades to pre 1986 cars are now legal and have changed the lot on the 406. Pretty straightforward and excellent results. The dashboard lights are now bright enough that I might consider using the dimmer. I have front sidelight / indicator units with clear lens and clear / amber bulbs. Reversing lights now much brighter. Way less load on the old dynamo.
The LED indicator lamps do not draw enough current to operate the original flasher units. I have stuck with positive earth so new electronic units with ground wires were fitted.
All items purchased from the Classic Car LEDs Ltd.
Old 18-04-24, 08:32 AM

Default LED lights on 406

I must have missed to relevant update to the rules, thank you.
My 407 has the same light set up externally as the 406 except I do not have roof parking lights.
The dash board has a different layout but instruments the same. I will approach
your supplier , thank you. Glad you have retained positive earth , I have done the same and still use the dynamo, in 25 years of ownership have only had to replace brushes once, suspect the one and only time, but mine is a Chrysler product.
Still burbling along, Nick
Old 18-04-24, 09:01 AM

There are at least two options for the headlights. When I upgraded the 403 I went for maximum light output and was surprised to find I had to fit a driver unit which was too big to fit in the headlamp bowl.
For the 406 I chose a bulb with no external driver and is a direct swap with the original. I can't test properly until I have sorted the brakes but the light output looks promising.
It took a couple of attempts to get the right positive earth flasher units with on line ordering. In the end I made a telephone order and that worked perfectly.
I didn't look for a bulb for the clock but the original incandescent unit seems to work happily alongside the LEDs.
Old 18-04-24, 09:24 AM

Part numbers I used as follows:

Combined white side bulb with amber indicator 12VWASH_1
Side and tail 12VESTLPOS
Reverse 12V382WH These are cool white but have higher light output.
Instruments 12VE10WW_1 These are warm white. I think there is a cool white option.
Rear indicator 12V15S21WW
Flasher unit 12VFLP
Headlamp bulbs P45TCW600k These are for Marchal units so probably not suitable for Bristol use other than 406.
Old 18-04-24, 02:35 PM

Default LED for positive earth

Thank you David, that is very helpful on several counts.
1, I can do it,
2, Where to get them
3, Telephone them rather than email.

Another little job to do, need to get dash out to repait Tacho and Clock, only right twice a day.

Nick
Old 18-04-24, 02:50 PM

My clock is equally accurate albeit almost certainly at different times. I'm afraid I have put off getting it fixed as I haven't had much luck previously. I had the one on the 403 upgraded with an electronic impulse conversion but that didn't last very long. If anyone knows a decent repairer with a reasonable turn around I would like to get it sorted at some point.