![]() |
![]() |
|
|||||||
| 6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread | Display Modes |
|
|
|
|||
|
Geoff. I expect you will find a buyer before too long. If you don't mind me saying, I think some interior shots might help and maybe, if possible, a correct type steering wheel fitted. If it were me I would strip it down to bare metal so as not to look like it's been quite so much in the wars.
I have read about the Triumph 2000 engine being suitable. As it happens I had a GT6 for 38 years so know that engine intimately. I am also familiar with the XK engine but somehow never worked on the 250 V8. I understand it can be very smooth - so a good alternative if the original is not available. |
|
|||
|
Raymond,
Thanks for giving me some more work to do! I started stripping the paint down in the late 70's must not rush these things! the red and blue, wings straight out of a rattle can as I was trying to decide on a colour. When I bought the car it was yellow, initial stripping was with Nitromors but my painter told me not to use chemical paint stripper on aluminium as it absorbs it to a certain extent and it can ruin a paint job. Using a DA sander I must admit I was being very cautious because they mark the surface but watching him strip and prepare the alloy panels on my Range Rover I am going when I get a chance try and get most of the rest of the paint off and the few bits of alloy repairs done. To get a decent interior shot the re trimmed door cards need to go back on. The steering wheel which was on the car when it was advertised in motor sport in 1968 I have failed to find an obvious way of removing, the top of the column has been shortened so I have left it where it is, have another column and a decent correct wheel to go with the car. One thing with this wheel as well it is a smaller diameter, this makes the steering a bit heavier but more direct even a slight input gets instant reaction which actually makes the car more involving to drive. A very good friend of mine Mike Brockway has a 403 which after an engine failure a few years ago was fitted with a Triumph 2000 engine and box, about a year ago the engine was changed to a rebuilt 2500 unit on carbs, he loved the car with either engine in and preferred it to his other 403 with its standard 100A power unit, he sold that car a few years ago but will never part with the Triumph engined car, the nice thing about it as well is it sounds lovely and I was told was not a difficult conversion. Geoff. |
|
|||
|
Oh dear. Sorry Geoff...didn't mean to get off to a bad start with the forum!
By coincidence, today I have been sanding down the bonnet of my TC project. I have been struggling with the louvres because I suffer from painful fingers. Good to know my favourite engine will fit the car if I ever need it to. My GT6 Mk3 became like a hand in a glove. Not everyone's cup of tea of course and not very nice in the wet (especially when pushed!) but having restored it twice in my ownership I knew every nut and bolt. It's funny what you can get used to. |
|
|||
|
I don't know for sure but I think it highly likely these poor old cars have been savaged by people who go racing.
as for converting to electric; the idea scares me. My wife has a Lexus hybrid... there are "keep out" signs under the bonnet! |
![]() |
| Tags |
| 1956, 405 |
|
|