Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Resources Area of the Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-21, 10:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: woodhouse australia
Posts: 189
Default Resources Area of the Forum

Just a general comment on the lack of use of the Resources Section of the forum. There are currently only two posts in the entire 6 cylinder section yet the forum is full of interesting infomation. How do we best utilize the Resources section and when is an artical worth of saving in Resources ?. Comments and thoughts please.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-21, 02:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 144
Default

I belong to several forums and find the architecture of the medium to be inadequate for the need. What is needed is a Wikipedia for the marque. Forums will have very important field knowledge embedded in a thread that contains a lot of banter. Finding it is hard.

Imagine instead if a wiki was part of the forum. Collective knowledge forms the current page. Talk is on another tab. I post a solution. Then someone else updates this with something I was unaware of that makes the solution better. Instead of clutter (my lesser knowledge having equal standing with the better solution), the best is on the page, with prior pages in history.

With such a tool, imagine in the UK, a retired enthusiast sits down with the knowledge holders (think Percy Kemish on tuning a Bristol 6 as an example of lost knowledge) and convinces them to leave their knowledge for posterity.

I suggest that is better than the Resource Section of the forum. Find the wiki and make it a Covid project for those locked at home.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-21, 10:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Default Wiki resource for Bristol owners

I liked this idea and we discussed setting something up a while back. Ive tried to put as much into the BOHT website as possible - especially the videos of old Bristol heroes- but it needs much more momentum and input.
One good example is Sid Lovesy in his video which I took saying the best way to get the ignition right on a 2 L engine is to set the hand throttle at 3000 rpm and cautiously advance and retard the distributor until the revs rise. Simple and practical, no electronics needed!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-21, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
I belong to several forums and find the architecture of the medium to be inadequate for the need. What is needed is a Wikipedia for the marque.
Go for it Claude. There's nothing standing in your way.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-21, 02:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter dowdle View Post
Just a general comment on the lack of use of the Resources Section of the forum. There are currently only two posts in the entire 6 cylinder section yet the forum is full of interesting infomation. How do we best utilize the Resources section and when is an artical worth of saving in Resources ?. Comments and thoughts please.
Peter, part of the problem is that the the resources section is suitable for 'documents' rather than forum 'posts'. Posts can be turned into documents and inserted into the resources section, but I don't have the time to do that.

If anyone wants to create factual reference documents which are suitable for the resources section I can upload them. Email them to webmaster-at-bristolcars.info
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-21, 03:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Wales.
Posts: 351
Default

It is a great shame that for many years the Bristol Owners Club operated a WIKI section of their website, sadly access to that was lost a few years ago in the process of 'upgrading' the website as was a really useful database of cars the latter possibly in the fear that its presence on the website breached the provisions of Data Protection which according to my discussions with the information commissioners it did not. All was not lost though as all the past bulletins are on the website and also a lot of technical information including the articles written by Spencer Lane Jones. With a sense of impending doom when the car data suddenly disappeared I printed out all the information which I thought would be useful on my 2 Litre cars and a bit on the V8. Such a shame that such a valuable resource was lost as it was so easy to find what you needed and so hard and time consuming to start all over again.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30-04-21, 03:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Aberdeenshire Scotland UK
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Kingston View Post
It is a great shame that for many years the Bristol Owners Club operated a WIKI section of their website, sadly access to that was lost a few years ago in the process of 'upgrading' the website as was a really useful database of cars the latter possibly in the fear that its presence on the website breached the provisions of Data Protection which according to my discussions with the information commissioners it did not. All was not lost though as all the past bulletins are on the website and also a lot of technical information including the articles written by Spencer Lane Jones. With a sense of impending doom when the car data suddenly disappeared I printed out all the information which I thought would be useful on my 2 Litre cars and a bit on the V8. Such a shame that such a valuable resource was lost as it was so easy to find what you needed and so hard and time consuming to start all over again.
Couldn't agree more Geoff. I have been trying to persuade the person concerned to re-activate the wiki, but apparently the technology on which it is based is incompatible with the current website format. I used to use the wiki a lot and it's left a big hole with its demise.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30-04-21, 05:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 57
Default

Not sure who Im upsetting by saying it, but the new BOC car database is utterly woeful, to the point of being unusable. The previous format was old, but at least it worked.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:07 PM.


This is the live site

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2