Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

400 - What kind of spin off oil filter do you use for 2-litre?

Old 01-05-21, 09:12 AM

Default 400 - What kind of spin off oil filter do you use for 2-litre?

After the next 200 miles, I will have to change my oil for the first time since I owned it.

The previous owner installed the Mahle OC32. The Mann filter equivalent is 962. The description for this filter indicates that it is suitable for hydraulics. I think it's not bad because the bigger can gives more cooling - but I'm confused about the hydraulic filter because hydraulic fluid is often more fluid. My adapter has a 1-12 UNF thread. Here in Germany it is common to use MAHLE OC606 for the BMW 328 engine. OC606 has a 3 / 4-16 UNF thread.

Who also has a 1-12 UNF thread in their spin-off filter and what type of filter are you using?

What kind of spin-off filter are you using on other threads?
Old 02-05-21, 10:29 AM

I don't know which filter I am using but it is what is commonly called the Ford Pinto filter.

The two I still have are TJ FB2069 filters

Last edited by peterg; 02-05-21 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-05-21, 12:23 PM

Default 400 - What kind of spin off oil filter do you use for 2-litre?

Bela,

I don't think it matters if the filter is listed for hydraulic oil as they seem to be dual purpose, suitable for either engine oil or hydraulic oil. I have a Wix spin on filter fitted to my 403 and that is also listed as suitable for both engine oil and hydraulic oil. I think Wix are part of the Mann & Hummel Group.

The Mann W962 is specified for hydraulic, transmission and engine oil, so should be suitable.

The important thing is to get the correct thread and overall filter dimensions.
Old 02-05-21, 12:56 PM

Thanks Peter

this helps.

The Pinto filter corresponds to the MANN filter 719/27, a very common type with a anti-drain back valve and an opening pressure of the bypass valve of 1 bar. The thread is 3 / 4-16 UNF. 719/27 is also an equivalent to MAHLE OC606 which is recommended for the BMW engine 728.

719/7 has almost the same data and fits 1-12 UNF in my B400. It will be a request to MANN Filter to compare the inner filter elements.
Old 02-05-21, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSait View Post
Bela,

The Mann W962 is specified for hydraulic, transmission and engine oil, so should be suitable.

The important thing is to get the correct thread and overall filter dimensions.
Thank you Andrew,

I will mention it when starting the request to MANN.
Old 08-05-21, 07:13 AM

At the moment I'm still doing research.

The original filter adapter has a built-in bypass valve. Is the opening pressure of this bypass valve known?
Old 11-05-21, 08:20 PM

I have now decided on the MANN W930 / 13 because of the properties (filter efficiency, absorption capacity, opening pressure bypass 1 bar, backstop). It is used in British vehicles from Aston Martin, Bentley, Daimler and Jaguar. I guess that is now certainly better than the acquired Mahle OC32 without bypass, because until now I did not find out wether the spin on adapter is equipped with a bypass valve like the original filter housing.