Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Non Bristol Forums > Other topics of interest

Other topics of interest Discussions about anything else, i.e motoring, trends, politics, even the EU!

Computer problems

Old 20-02-11, 02:27 AM

Default Computer problems

Hi All,

All of a sudden whilst perusing the BOC wiki I had this message and I have been locked out since !!

You are registered as BAD_IP by Protector.
This restriction will be expired on 2038-01-19 03:14:07

Anyone know how to fix it ?

I can access everything else except the forum and wiki / knowledge base.

I let people know, but I had no response. Has anyone else had the same problem ? Or is it just my IP that has been blocked ?

I had a similar problem after hacking into NASA
Old 20-02-11, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG View Post
Hi All,

All of a sudden whilst perusing the BOC wiki I had this message and I have been locked out since !!

You are registered as BAD_IP by Protector.
This restriction will be expired on 2038-01-19 03:14:07

Anyone know how to fix it ?
"Protector" is no doubt their firewall. There will be nothing you can do about it. Knowing how these things work, it may unblock you after a pre determined time, e.g 24 hours, or the block may be permanent.

But why are you asking here? Why not ask on the BOC forum?

You could get around it by getting a new IP address.

If you are on ADSL you could try disconnecting your ADSL modem from the phone line for for say half an hour and if you have a dynamic IP address when you connect it back up again your ISP will automatically give you a new IP address. If however you have a static IP you're stuffed

Of course this begs the question, why did it block you in the first place and will it just happen again?
Old 20-02-11, 07:22 PM

Thanks Kevin,

I asked on here because I know that a few computer boffin's use this site ,like yourself and Julf.

It seems most computer problems are solved by turning on and off !
Old 21-02-11, 05:11 AM

I think Julf is in a different league to me in terms of computing knowledge. I just know enough to get by.
Old 17-02-12, 02:12 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I'll answer as it's a common issue.

"Protector" is a well known protection system that some companies use.
It is a bit aggressive as it will, as mentioned, put a 30 year ban on I.Ps it deems dangerous. Those marked as hackers are often innocent as faulty error detection by Protector can cause dropped packets to be detected as hack attempts as it's "unexpected data".

It veers on the side of caution to protect the business at the expense of the user.

One on the list there isn't much you can do to be removed apart from change your I.P address... Which is trivial without some form of reverse NAT detection.

Most ISPs will renew your IP if you...
  1. Click the start button
  2. Type CMD then press enter
  3. In the command prompt type...
  4. ipconfig /release
  5. ipconfig /renew
  6. Enjoy your new I.P address and uber leet mad hacking skillz -_-

I wish companies would practice real security processes instead of relying on such basic, and inaccurate techniques as this.

** Sorry, found this old post in the moderation queue
Old 12-10-12, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFrench View Post

Most ISPs will renew your IP if you...
  1. Click the start button
  2. Type CMD then press enter
  3. In the command prompt type...
  4. ipconfig /release
  5. ipconfig /renew
  6. Enjoy your new I.P address and uber leet mad hacking skillz -_-
This will only work if the PC is connected directly to the internet using a built in modem. But nowadays most people connect via a router of some sort, (most ADSL modems now also incorporate a router, even if they only have one port).

If this is the case, the PC's IP address will be a private (LAN or Local Area Network) IP address in one of the following ranges;
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

This can be assigned by the modem/router (if using DHCP) or it may be set manually in the settings for the PC's network adapter.

If you just type "ipconfig" at the command prompt you will see what IP address your computer is using.

However, any external firewall or protection software on a web server on the internet will see only your external public IP address. This is assigned by your ISP and may or may not be dynamic. Most ISPs use dynamic IP addresses which can change between network sessions, (although they can be fixed).

Using [ipconfig /renew] can only result in your PC getting a new private IP address, which won't help if your external/public IP address is being blocked by an external site.

If your external/public IP address has been dynamically assigned, it is likely that it will change if you turn off your modem and disconnect it from the ISPs network for a period of time. The longer between sessions, the more likely you are to get a new IP address on reconnecting.

You can easily find out what your external IP address is by using a site such as What's My IP Address? Networking Tools & More