Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

401 to 403 Zeni door key blanks

Like Tree1Likes

Old 29-04-13, 03:16 PM

Default 401 to 403 Zeni door key blanks

A lot of aerodyne owners only have one door key ! This is dangerous as it's a complicated lock with virtually no spares available -- I have a limited stock of new blanks and I have also obtained a number of patterns for some of the Zeni numbered keys, so please let me know if you require a spare.
yarrell likes this.
Old 30-04-13, 06:28 AM

Smile

greg
I would like a blank/or my zeni key is stamped 2 - my email adds is rmasay@globalnet.co.uk to get cost details etc. tks mike say
Old 30-04-13, 05:11 PM

Wow Greg, well done for finding some! I also have only one key for my Aerodyne, but the danger is alleviated somewhat by the lock being openable by just about anything (including a ring-pull)...

I would be interested in a Zeni blank, though. There is no number on my Zeni key that I can see.

email address is daniel2 at kleeman.net

Daniel
Old 30-04-13, 06:28 PM

Default Zeni door key blanks

Hi Greg

Thanks for your offer, I would very much like at least one of your keys if you have any left, as I don't have any ....

I bought my 403 in pieces in 2001 and have, at last, run out of boxes to look in.

The number on the barrel is 12 but I have warding files so a blank would not be a problem

Hoping to finish the restoration (probably a better description would be remake) this year - would be a pain not to be able to drive the car for want of a key!

Email jarret.family@btinternet.com

Many thanks
Mike
Old 03-05-13, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkleeman View Post
Wow Greg, well done for finding some! I also have only one key for my Aerodyne, but the danger is alleviated somewhat by the lock being openable by just about anything (including a ring-pull)...

I would be interested in a Zeni blank, though. There is no number on my Zeni key that I can see.

Daniel
Get a second hand lock ! Zeni locks are probably one of the best early car locks so may as well have it working
Old 24-05-13, 01:06 PM

Hi Greg, I would like to buy an inigition and door key for my 401 if you have any available.

Norman Norrington

nnorrington@hotmail.com
Old 25-05-13, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG View Post
A lot of aerodyne owners only have one door key ! This is dangerous as it's a complicated lock with virtually no spares available -- I have a limited stock of new blanks and I have also obtained a number of patterns for some of the Zeni numbered keys, so please let me know if you require a spare.
Hello Greg
We have a 401 without any keys, can you supply 2 keys for lock no 10?
Thanks
Michael and Penny Oram
Old 22-06-17, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkleeman View Post

Daniel
I locked my keys in the 403 . The old ring-pull trick works a treat . What a marvellous resource this forum is .
Old 24-06-17, 11:47 PM

Aerodyne Owners ,

Copies of Zeni key blanks were manufactured by other companies .

Dominion in Canada had a "L62N"

Davenport - Burgess in UK had a "H024"

These I believe are a direct replacement for the Zeni used in the Aerodyne door locks, but possibly not manufactured for many years .
At least it is a starting point for a search .
There is surely an old established locksmith that will have some blank keys.

I know of a Dominion blank E122A that has been modified to fit .

The joys of owning a 401 - 403 . No wonder prices of 400's are increasing !!!

Geoff
Old 19-10-17, 11:14 PM

Greg, I am restoring a 1934 Singer 1.5 litre Sports Saloon which has Zeni dead locks, but no keys. I need keys number 39 and 213. Do you still have any?
My email: peterwatts135@btinternet.com
Old 04-09-18, 11:24 AM

Default 401 door keys

Greg, I have just seen your thread though I realise it has been a while since you wrote, I am restoring a 401 and have no door key, there are no tumblers in the barrel so any key would be useful. If you still have any I would appreciate 2. Email: astjohntaylor@yahoo.co.uk
Many thanks St.John
Old 06-11-21, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG View Post
Hi I just got 1953 403 LHD and have no keys at all any suggestions ? Thank you Eddie
Old 10-11-21, 10:51 AM

Eddie,
I have a few blank keys that have been modified to fit the Zeni door locks ,
but have no way a cutting the key except copying an original.
An experienced locksmith could cut the key blanks with the lock removed from the car.

Geoff
Old 10-11-21, 07:00 PM

I managed to rebuild one of these locks some years ago and still have the tool that I made to do it. Happy to offer advice if needed. The locks are not horribly complicated as they only have one rest position so only a single set of pins. Fired up with my success on a 401 Zeni door lock I moved on to a 410 petrol cap lock and very quickly gave that up as a job for someone with more patience than I.
Old 10-11-21, 08:31 PM

Default 403 keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53LHD403 View Post
Hi I just got 1953 403 LHD and have no keys at all any suggestions ? Thank you Eddie
Of course Gregg I will be interested do you also may have ignition and glove compartment keys? Thank you Eddie
Old 10-11-21, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dowdle View Post
Eddie,
I have a few blank keys that have been modified to fit the Zeni door locks ,
but have no way a cutting the key except copying an original.
An experienced locksmith could cut the key blanks with the lock removed from the car.

Geoff
Thank you Geoff I also need ignition and glove compartment keys may happen you have them ?or know where to get them ? Thank you Eddie
Old 17-11-21, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53LHD403 View Post
Thank you Geoff I also need ignition and glove compartment keys may happen you have them ?or know where to get them ? Thank you Eddie
My door locks were covered for the painting and when I removed the tape those locks have no KEYS they just locks without keys . Have anybody see those 403 locks without locking keys? I’m just floored . Looks like there’s more surprises on the way . Have a good one
Old 28-06-22, 09:15 PM

Default Locks and Keys

Website for Zeni keys:
ZENI | Cylinder Keys | www.keytrader.co.uk

I bought some of the Dominion keys at a reasonable price in the states. I picked up 10 for about USD 20. They were about $6 ea and I figured I should get 3. So, might as well get 10 for a couple extra dollars. That would give me a cushion for when they screw up a blank at the hardware store.

I don't have the name of the company at hand. I just searched on Dominion along with key number. Two or three companies came up.
Old 21-11-23, 04:36 PM

Default Locks & Keys

Hi all,

I have a right hand drive 403 and it has been keyless since they went astray during restoration work many, many, years ago. I am based in London Greenwich.

The guys at Bristol Motors were able to tell me the key number that came with the car when it was built but having found a fellow Bristoller with the same number key the lock still did not work so I am assuming it's perhaps the pin lock itself thats faulty in some way or perhaps a latter addition with a key unknown.

So can anyone give me some suggestions - I do know that many people over the years have discussed various options but some of these posts date back 20 years so I would be good to try and get a 2023 update from the amazing Bristol community - I know I am not only person with this dilemma.

SO THREE QUESTIONS:

1) Where can I (we) find any original Zeni blanks?,

2) What alternative blanks exists that can work in the Zeni lock,? or / and

3) Someone that knows a locksmith up for and able to get the lock out an able to make some keys.

I believe the Dominion Locks Company from Montreal had a blank with the reference L62N that I know fits - are there any others and what are there numbers.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
Old 26-11-23, 03:13 AM

John,
In the past I posted the following

"Dominion in Canada had a "L62N"

Davenport - Burgess in UK had a "H024"

These are the only blanks that I know of that will fit without any modification.

I had a small batch of similar blanks modified to suit the Zeni lock but
have no way of a locksmith cutting the blank to a number.

The lock barrel would have to be removed from the door and taken to a Locksmith with a blank, who could then cut the key to suit.

If you need a couple of modified blanks I should have a few left.

Geoff ,
Sydney, Australia