Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum

Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/index.php)
-   6 cyl Bristol cars (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   401 to 403 Zeni door key blanks (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/showthread.php?t=965)

GREG 29-04-13 04:16 PM

401 to 403 Zeni door key blanks

A lot of aerodyne owners only have one door key ! This is dangerous as it's a complicated lock with virtually no spares available -- I have a limited stock of new blanks and I have also obtained a number of patterns for some of the Zeni numbered keys, so please let me know if you require a spare.

mikesay 30-04-13 07:28 AM

greg
I would like a blank/or my zeni key is stamped 2 - my email adds is rmasay@globalnet.co.uk to get cost details etc. tks mike say

dkleeman 30-04-13 06:11 PM

Wow Greg, well done for finding some! I also have only one key for my Aerodyne, but the danger is alleviated somewhat by the lock being openable by just about anything (including a ring-pull)...

I would be interested in a Zeni blank, though. There is no number on my Zeni key that I can see.

email address is daniel2 at kleeman.net

Daniel

jasa 30-04-13 07:28 PM

Zeni door key blanks

Hi Greg

Thanks for your offer, I would very much like at least one of your keys if you have any left, as I don't have any ....

I bought my 403 in pieces in 2001 and have, at last, run out of boxes to look in.

The number on the barrel is 12 but I have warding files so a blank would not be a problem

Hoping to finish the restoration (probably a better description would be remake) this year - would be a pain not to be able to drive the car for want of a key!

Email jarret.family@btinternet.com

Many thanks
Mike

GREG 03-05-13 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkleeman (Post 6524)
Wow Greg, well done for finding some! I also have only one key for my Aerodyne, but the danger is alleviated somewhat by the lock being openable by just about anything (including a ring-pull)...

I would be interested in a Zeni blank, though. There is no number on my Zeni key that I can see.

Daniel

Get a second hand lock ! Zeni locks are probably one of the best early car locks so may as well have it working

norrington 24-05-13 02:06 PM

Hi Greg, I would like to buy an inigition and door key for my 401 if you have any available.

Norman Norrington

nnorrington@hotmail.com

Michael Oram 25-05-13 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREG (Post 6519)
A lot of aerodyne owners only have one door key ! This is dangerous as it's a complicated lock with virtually no spares available -- I have a limited stock of new blanks and I have also obtained a number of patterns for some of the Zeni numbered keys, so please let me know if you require a spare.

Hello Greg
We have a 401 without any keys, can you supply 2 keys for lock no 10?
Thanks
Michael and Penny Oram

terry forrest 23-06-17 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkleeman (Post 6524)

Daniel

I locked my keys in the 403 . The old ring-pull trick works a treat . What a marvellous resource this forum is .

Geoff Dowdle 25-06-17 12:47 AM

Aerodyne Owners ,

Copies of Zeni key blanks were manufactured by other companies .

Dominion in Canada had a "L62N"

Davenport - Burgess in UK had a "H024"

These I believe are a direct replacement for the Zeni used in the Aerodyne door locks, but possibly not manufactured for many years .
At least it is a starting point for a search .
There is surely an old established locksmith that will have some blank keys.

I know of a Dominion blank E122A that has been modified to fit .

The joys of owning a 401 - 403 . No wonder prices of 400's are increasing !!!

Geoff

Peter Watts 20-10-17 12:14 AM

Greg, I am restoring a 1934 Singer 1.5 litre Sports Saloon which has Zeni dead locks, but no keys. I need keys number 39 and 213. Do you still have any?
My email: peterwatts135@btinternet.com

HigherCrawallis 04-09-18 12:24 PM

401 door keys

Greg, I have just seen your thread though I realise it has been a while since you wrote, I am restoring a 401 and have no door key, there are no tumblers in the barrel so any key would be useful. If you still have any I would appreciate 2. Email: astjohntaylor@yahoo.co.uk
Many thanks St.John

53LHD403 06-11-21 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREG (Post 6519)

Hi I just got 1953 403 LHD and have no keys at all any suggestions ? Thank you Eddie

Geoff Dowdle 10-11-21 11:51 AM

Eddie,
I have a few blank keys that have been modified to fit the Zeni door locks ,
but have no way a cutting the key except copying an original.
An experienced locksmith could cut the key blanks with the lock removed from the car.

Geoff

David C 10-11-21 08:00 PM

I managed to rebuild one of these locks some years ago and still have the tool that I made to do it. Happy to offer advice if needed. The locks are not horribly complicated as they only have one rest position so only a single set of pins. Fired up with my success on a 401 Zeni door lock I moved on to a 410 petrol cap lock and very quickly gave that up as a job for someone with more patience than I.

53LHD403 10-11-21 09:31 PM

403 keys

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53LHD403 (Post 11517)
Hi I just got 1953 403 LHD and have no keys at all any suggestions ? Thank you Eddie

Of course Gregg I will be interested do you also may have ignition and glove compartment keys? Thank you Eddie

53LHD403 10-11-21 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Dowdle (Post 11548)
Eddie,
I have a few blank keys that have been modified to fit the Zeni door locks ,
but have no way a cutting the key except copying an original.
An experienced locksmith could cut the key blanks with the lock removed from the car.

Geoff

Thank you Geoff I also need ignition and glove compartment keys may happen you have them ?or know where to get them ? Thank you Eddie

53LHD403 17-11-21 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53LHD403 (Post 11555)
Thank you Geoff I also need ignition and glove compartment keys may happen you have them ?or know where to get them ? Thank you Eddie

My door locks were covered for the painting and when I removed the tape those locks have no KEYS they just locks without keys . Have anybody see those 403 locks without locking keys? I’m just floored . Looks like there’s more surprises on the way . Have a good one

34airflow 28-06-22 10:15 PM

Locks and Keys

Website for Zeni keys:
ZENI | Cylinder Keys | www.keytrader.co.uk

I bought some of the Dominion keys at a reasonable price in the states. I picked up 10 for about USD 20. They were about $6 ea and I figured I should get 3. So, might as well get 10 for a couple extra dollars. That would give me a cushion for when they screw up a blank at the hardware store.

I don't have the name of the company at hand. I just searched on Dominion along with key number. Two or three companies came up.

JohnATGreenwich 21-11-23 05:36 PM

Locks & Keys

Hi all,

I have a right hand drive 403 and it has been keyless since they went astray during restoration work many, many, years ago. I am based in London Greenwich.

The guys at Bristol Motors were able to tell me the key number that came with the car when it was built but having found a fellow Bristoller with the same number key the lock still did not work so I am assuming it's perhaps the pin lock itself thats faulty in some way or perhaps a latter addition with a key unknown.

So can anyone give me some suggestions - I do know that many people over the years have discussed various options but some of these posts date back 20 years so I would be good to try and get a 2023 update from the amazing Bristol community - I know I am not only person with this dilemma.

SO THREE QUESTIONS:

1) Where can I (we) find any original Zeni blanks?,

2) What alternative blanks exists that can work in the Zeni lock,? or / and

3) Someone that knows a locksmith up for and able to get the lock out an able to make some keys.

I believe the Dominion Locks Company from Montreal had a blank with the reference L62N that I know fits - are there any others and what are there numbers.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Geoff Dowdle 26-11-23 04:13 AM

John,
In the past I posted the following

"Dominion in Canada had a "L62N"

Davenport - Burgess in UK had a "H024"

These are the only blanks that I know of that will fit without any modification.

I had a small batch of similar blanks modified to suit the Zeni lock but
have no way of a locksmith cutting the blank to a number.

The lock barrel would have to be removed from the door and taken to a Locksmith with a blank, who could then cut the key to suit.

If you need a couple of modified blanks I should have a few left.

Geoff ,
Sydney, Australia