Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Other Bristol engined cars

Other Bristol engined cars Arnolt, AC, Frazer Nash, Cooper, Lister, Lotus, Tojeiro

Arnolt Brakes

Old 17-01-12, 02:59 AM

Default Arnolt Brakes

Hi Folks. First post here but not new to automotive forums. I work for a gentleman who collects all sorts of interesting cars. He's currently got 2 Bristol powered cars (an Ace and one of the Tojeiros) in the collection and has an Arnolt on the way. We have an opportunity to buy some brake parts and want to confirm what the Arnolt shared brakes with. Can I assume the 404 uses the same brakes?

Thanks in advance,

Dale W
Old 17-01-12, 03:17 AM

Default Arnolt Bristol Brakes

Dale:

While the Arnolt Bristol was built on a 404 chassis, in order to make the price a bit cheaper they used brakes from the 401-403. They also did not have the Alfin drums that were used on the 403. I believe they may have been available for an extra fee but the stock brakes are 11 inch steel drum brakes with twin leading shoes and two single action wheel cylinders per wheel in the front. The 404 used 12 inch brakes with huge Alfin drums that looked like a big hat. The 403 used Alfin brakes with the ribs running around the drum rather than finned like the Buick Alfins.

Jim
West Linn, Oregon
A/B 3015 and 3016
Old 17-01-12, 03:23 AM

Thanks for the speedy and informative reply Jim. We'll likely have more questions once the car gets on site. It's an unrestored, original owner car but has not been driven for many years. While it won't receive a full restoration, it will undergo a re-commissioning to make it fully roadworthy.

Cheers,
Dale
Old 17-01-12, 03:40 AM

Default Arnolt Bristol information

Dale:

Feel free to contact me via E mail any time. If I can't answer a question, I am sure I can point you in the right direction. John Simmons and Bill Watkins keep records on the location and ownership of Arnolt Bristols. If you have not touched bases with them, let me know and I will give you contact information.

Jim McQuay
West Linn, Oregon
Old 17-01-12, 03:41 AM

Default OOPS RE Arnolt Bristols

Dale:

I forgot to list my E mail

Thumpermcq@aol.com
Old 17-01-12, 03:53 AM

Thanks Jim. You can bet I'll be in touch. This is our first foray into the Arnolt world so there will be plenty of questions.

Having gone through this process on a number of other cars, we know that finding good, correct information is obviously the quickest route to our goal. The world of automotive forums has made this a far more direct process. I can't imagine trying to do this in the days when letter mail was the only form of communication...

Dale
Old 17-01-12, 05:03 AM

Most Arnolts used the standard 11 " 403 brakes but could be supplied by the factory with 11" alfin (ribbed as Jim said) on the front. Some were later fitted with the 12" bell alfins and also the later 405 discs either by the factory or by purchase from Arnolt or Bristol. A copy of the workshop manual is strongly recommended.

Peter
Old 17-01-12, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412usa View Post
Most Arnolts used the standard 11 " 403 brakes but could be supplied by the factory with 11" alfin (ribbed as Jim said) on the front. Some were later fitted with the 12" bell alfins and also the later 405 discs either by the factory or by purchase from Arnolt or Bristol. A copy of the workshop manual is strongly recommended.

Peter
Thanks Peter. We'll see what accompanies the car when it arrives. Given it's coming from the original owner, it may well have a copy of the workshop manual with it. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Dale