![]() |
![]() |
|
|||||||
| 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread | Display Modes |
|
|
|
|||
|
Morning John
Thanks for pictures - looks great. To answer your question I've got 2.8 in mine - done by previous owner. I drove it back to back with another 410 which is ( I believe) on same ratios as yours last summer. My subjective memory is sort of what you'd expect - on rapid starts the 3.07 picks up quicker but once you're rolling the difference in performance is not really noticeable. Once up to cruising speed the 2.8 makes a noticeable difference but in my case previous Owner also installed later gearbox with overdrive and lockup which is excellent particularly on long runs. If you need any stats am out and about in car so happy to report back. Cheers Andrew |
|
|||
|
Hello John.
I'm nearing the end of an overdrive installation, keeping the original back axle ratio. Happy to share details if that helps. If you are happy to trade acceleration for slightly lower cruising RPM a differential swap could well be worth a try. It shouldn't be too hard to find a 2.8 and you can upgrade to limited slip diff while you are at it. Another option you might consider is finding an A999 transmission. This is non overdrive with lock up torque converter so would fit without the modification to crossmember and tunnel required by overdrive. Removing the slip would probably give a similar drop in revs as the diff swap and it would save plenty of fuel as well. You could go for broke and do both. Please can you post pictures of how your air conditioning compressor is mounted? I am considering a Vintage Air system. Original Mopar air compressors were fitted above the alternator and I don't think will fit under the 410 bonnet. Sam Frost has kindly offered to help with details of what I believe is his factory installed system with the compressor mounted above the power steering pump. I would like to compare all options before committing. |
|
|||
|
Thank you Andrew for your reply. This is the information I am looking for. sounds as if the 2.8 ratio may be what we need as the car generally will do longer runs. Fuel economy in the car's original state gave us 21-22 mpg but I hope we can improve on that, particularly as the tank is not that big!
Many thanks! John K. |
|
|||
|
Well if you think of anything you need - let me know. Re the attachment, Kevin who kindly looks after this forum will probably sort it out for you if you ask nicely!
I think - but could be wrong - that once you go into the 2's as it were on the ratios you need a different carrier to the 3's - worth checking. |
|
|||
|
David, it's a standard tank - 18 gal but given the distances we sometimes travel, the contents disappear rapidly.
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
| Display Modes | |
|
|