Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Centrifugal Ignition Advance

Old 14-12-22, 04:02 PM

Default Centrifugal Ignition Advance

Hi All
The Vacuum advance unit on the distributor of my 410 has failed. I have taken the distributor to Holdens and they are going to rebuild the vacuum unit. Whilst there, they will also check the distributor over and replace any worn parts and test the mechanical advance. Does anyone know what the correct figures for the mechanical advance should be please?
Thanks
Old 16-12-22, 06:28 PM

You are probably too far in for it to be helpful but it may be worth just getting them to fix the vacuum unit and then order a new electronic unit. Summit Racing in the States seems to have several options:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part
type/distributors/make/chrysler/engine-size/5-2l-318

I have read that distributor in the A series Poly 318 as fitted to the Bristol is interchangeable with that from the later LA. That said, I'm not an expert. It's just a suggestion to speed up your research. Best of luck and please report back.
Old 18-12-22, 07:34 PM

I am in full agreement with David, I fitted a Mopar Electric Conversion Distributor to my 410 nearly 4 years ago. I was having a few issues with my existing distributor and rather than having the existing unit repaired/overhauled, I decided to buy the Mopar unit. It was a very straightforward fit.
I wouldn’t consider going back to the old distributor but whoever becomes the next owner of my car, they will have the opportunity to have it overhauled, if they want originality, as it’s there in the parts box for posterity, gathering dust, along with the original Carter carburettor which I have had refurbished and set up for performance, as opposed to my Edelbrock, currently fitted, which has been set up for economy.
Old 18-12-22, 11:42 PM

Default Distributors

Thanks for that. Did you need to make any modifications to the tachometer circuit please?
Old 19-12-22, 01:19 AM

I have found some useful info online about the issue of electronic ignition upgrades causing the tacho to fail or become wildly inaccurate. It seems the tacho needs to be converted from RVI type (coil on rear or bullet connectors with coil inside) to RVC. There is a DIY fix using a circuit board that has to be fitted inside the tacho. I found one on Ebay, item number 380578001095. I haven't tried it yet but plan to soon.
Old 19-12-22, 05:35 PM

Yes, I sent it to a company to have it reconfigured. Sorry for the late response.
Old 20-12-22, 01:32 PM

Slightly late to the party here, alas....I've just replaced the points with a Pertronix 1381A in the original distributor in the 383 in my 411 S3. I photographed it and wrote a quick article for Bodacious, the editor of which may even have low enough standards to publish it - we'll see!
It was easy to fit, the tacho seems unaffected, and the car starts more easily.