Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

New Owner Bristol 409

Old 20-10-21, 03:40 PM

Default New Owner Bristol 409

Hello All,
I recently purchased a mostly restored 409 which was delivered last weekend. What a magnificent car! I also have a Jaguar E-type, a Jaguar Mk2, and a highly modified Rover 2000TC, all good cars in their own rights but the quality and feel of the Bristol is far superior, in my opinion. It just feels wonderful to drive.

Having said that, there are a few things that need doing on the car so I am now in the parts search mode. What I am discovering is that some Bristol parts can be sourced from other British cars. For example the exhaust hanger brackets are the same as those used on the E-type. And the interior dome light lens looks like that in my Rover. And of course the V8 cars all use Chrysler engines and transmissions. In the case of the 318 CI engine, the Carter 4bbl was also used on '61 Plymouths and Dodges.

So the examples above got me wondering if a cross reference parts list exists. Does anyone know of such a resource?

Cheers and happy to be here,
Tom
Old 21-10-21, 05:26 PM

Can't assist you on the cross reference but welcome and can't help but be curious about the 2000 TC - is your "handle" a clue as to what you've done to it - hope so!
Cheers
Andrew
Old 21-10-21, 07:38 PM

[Admin message - apologies, just found this message was moderated and never approved. Better late than never!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA View Post
Can't assist you on the cross reference but welcome and can't help but be curious about the 2000 TC - is your "handle" a clue as to what you've done to it - hope so!
Cheers
Andrew
Yes, you guessed it! A 5000 Rover TC, thanks to a 5 litre crate motor from Ford Racing, FITech fuel injection, MSD ignition, Ford 303 cam, GT40 heads, King Cobra clutch, Tremec 5 speed gearbox, and Jaguar XKS differential.

It was a 5 year engineering project that produced a 300hp Rover weighing in at 2700 lbs.

But the Bristol shall remain as original as possible.

Thanks for asking.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by devadmin; 31-08-22 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-09-22, 12:04 PM

Just got the response!
Sounds a fantastic car - love to see a picture!
Re the Bristol, from my limited knowledge they were often tailored to clients individual requirements from new and/or improved / modified by the factory over the years, so a few tasteful upgrades in keeping with the car might be good!
Old 02-09-22, 03:26 PM

Default New owner 409

Welcome to the Bristol Forum. I have a 407 with what was a 313 engine but when rebuilt 10 years ago it needed 30thou pistons, discovered 40thou were std in the 318 engine so bored it out to that as they were 1/3 price of 30th being OE. I have tried to keep it as std but fitted electric power steering a few years ago, an electric fuel pump 20 years ago but almost every thing else is as it left the factory, Oh except for radial Michelin X tyres.
I have everything put to one side in case someone in years to come would like it totally original. Many parts are available from Bristol Parts owned by the club and many other from Pegasus run by "the other club".
I am available for help if needed having owned the beast for 22 years and done 60,000 miles in it.
Old 03-09-22, 07:55 PM

Default Your 407 mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Challacombe View Post
Welcome to the Bristol Forum. I have a 407 with what was a 313 engine but when rebuilt 10 years ago it needed 30thou pistons, discovered 40thou were std in the 318 engine so bored it out to that as they were 1/3 price of 30th being OE. I have tried to keep it as std but fitted electric power steering a few years ago, an electric fuel pump 20 years ago but almost every thing else is as it left the factory, Oh except for radial Michelin X tyres.
I have everything put to one side in case someone in years to come would like it totally original. Many parts are available from Bristol Parts owned by the club and many other from Pegasus run by "the other club".
I am available for help if needed having owned the beast for 22 years and done 60,000 miles in it.
Hi Nick,
I'm interested in the electric power steering you fitted to your 407. Did you use a kit or modify an existing steering system from another car. The details would be of great interest to me.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-09-22, 09:28 PM

I'm interested to know too, please.

David

Last edited by dwomby; 03-09-22 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 08:34 AM

Default Electric Power Steering fitted to 407

Good day Tom, David and other non P/S Bristol V8's.
I was recommended to fit power steering by Brian Marelli, Bristol at that time were fitting the kit to customer cars and sales cars.
They recommended GTC Engineering, Unit 5 Red Ditches Farm, Silverstone Road , Stowe, Buckinghamshire MK18 5LH. tel 01280 851160, sales@gtc-engineering.com, web site www.gtc-engineering.com
Almost within the circuit!
I telephoned and emailed them and they recommended EPAC GEN 2 RHD/Bristol (SN-01310-0133-0122V4 at £2750.00
I opted to take the 407 to them and leave it so they could fit it at £1,040.00,
Total cost with no complication's £3,790.00 plus VAT Total £4,548.00

At the same time they found a seized UJ which necessitated removing the steering column, they also rewired the horn up the column for me which had never worked since I bought it, I had a push button under the dash!
They charged me the princely sum of 130.00 plus VAT as an additional item.

This is a family firm, they were great to deal with, Their workshops were full of classic cars, very clean and everything carried out within the time they said. I, like Brian would recommend them. My work was carried out in August 2019.

In use it is fantastic, parking is now a doddle, the amount of power steering is controlled by a rheostat switch under the dash in easy reach. On motorway one can turn it off, country fast lanes, set up a notch and parking full will amaze you! Hope this helps, a very worthwhile investment as far as I am concerned together with the Michelin X tyres.
Old 05-09-22, 08:39 AM

Thanks, Nick.

My car is in Florida so, unfortunately, GTC doing the job is not an option for me but I shall investigate the unit they fitted.

Thanks again.

David
Old 05-09-22, 09:40 AM

I've used these people on previous cars https://en-gb.facebook.com/electricpowersteering/ and chap there has been brilliant - will also supply kits if you're doing it yourself. Can highly recommend.
Old 05-09-22, 04:53 PM

[quote=Nick Challacombe;12301]Good day Tom, David and other non P/S Bristol V8's.
I was recommended to fit power steering by Brian Marelli, Bristol at that time were fitting the kit to customer cars and sales cars.
They recommended GTC Engineering.

Thanks, Nick, for this information. Like David in Florida, I am in Los Angeles so wouldn't be able to use GTC but given the high praise, I wish I could use them.

My 409 is already fitted with power steering, i.e. the old Marles box which leaks, has poor road feel, and, so I'm told, rebuild is problematic. On a parallel course with electric power steering, I'm thinking about converting to rack and pinion. Flaming River here in the US make a right hand drive unit. Has anyone on this forum converted a Bristol V8 to rack and pinon?

I converted my Jaguar Mk2 that originally had a Marles box to rack and pinion from a Jag XJ6. It works well and was cheap. But if you get the geometry wrong, bump steer can be a problem.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 07-09-22, 05:07 AM

I stuck with the steering box (I just wanted to get driving again asap and didn't really consider a rack to be honest) - mine was leaking badly when I got it and after a longish search and thanks to help from others on here who suggested them, I sent it away to Kiley Clinton who despite the name of the web site do tackle steering boxes https://steering-racks.co.uk/
What they did appears excellent so far, the steering is very good. I did go right through the entire suspension/bushes etc etc as well.
The rack and pinion would be a great upgrade, and future proof a vital element of the car. Look forward to hearing how you get on - it looks like an awful lot of work!