Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

407 power steering

Old 28-06-20, 04:17 PM

Default 407 power steering

I let the Lubrication run too low, refilled but power steering has stopped working is there a bleed valve anywhere that might be the cause.
Old 28-06-20, 07:11 PM

Do you mean you let the power steering fluid run low, then you topped it up?

If so, with the engine running, turn the steering wheel through left and right lock a few times to get the fluid back into the system and bleed out any air.
Old 28-06-20, 10:20 PM

The 407 didn't have power steering.
Old 29-06-20, 08:46 AM

Well there you go mustdav, that's why your power-steering is not working any more. You never had it in the first place!
Old 30-06-20, 04:48 AM

Power steering was first introduced by Bristol in the later 409s from chassis 7351, informally known as the 409 S2 (Series 2).

However, power steering was retrofitted to some earlier 409s, and it is not inconceivable that it could be fitted to a 407.

mustdav, could you post a photo of your 407 engine bay?

Just on power steering pumps in general, running one for any length of time with insufficient fluid will damage the pump to the point where it is not very effective, or the efficacy will be significantly reduced.

Personally, if power steering fluid has got too low and air has entered the system, to be on the safe side I would refill the fluid reservoir, then raise the car (or at least the front wheels) off the ground and slowly turn the steering lock to lock about a dozen times (or at least until no more air bubbles can be seen in the fluid reservoir). It should be then topped up again if necessary and the level checked again after it has been driven a little.
Old 19-07-20, 09:20 AM

Default 407 Power Steering

I would be most interested if your 407 has power steering as when I first bought my 407 in 1999 I asked Bristol Cars or rather Brian Marelli if it could be retro fitted, his answer was "anything is possible if you can afford it", it may well cost £4-5000.00 back then!
I have since fitted in April 2000 electric power steering at a similar cost but my 407 cost £8,000.00 in 1999 fully restored and half that cost again for power steering. 21 year later having rebuilt the engine, a back to metal respray the car seemed for my aging year to need power steering, but the cost of £3500.00 seems very reasonable with todays prices. I wish I had fitted it before!
Old 27-07-20, 10:36 AM

Default 407 power steering

Good day Mustdav, you have left us hanging in the air, I am still very interested to find out about your 407’s Power Steering. Was it an aftermarket update by Bristol Cars?. or has someone else fitted one. I know of at least 3 407’s including mine fitted with electric power steering but in 21 years of ownership and going to ?BOC meetings I have never seen an hydraulic p/s on a 407.
Kind regards, 407 6028.