Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Steering wheels: more

Old 02-07-09, 06:38 PM

Default Steering wheels: more

Update on rebuilding steering wheels (and reply to the post about a replacement 400 wheel).
Thanks for all the information and advice on the 'rebuilding steering wheel' thread - and there's comment there, Billy, about Myrtle, Pearlcraft and 400 wheels.
As far as my 403 wheel goes, rebuilding the rim myself, as Bellerophon suggests, is certainly the most economical and satisfying way of doing it – but I’m not sure I have the skill or the patience. Also I’d be worried about getting rid of all the rust: my rim seems mainly to have fallen apart under the pressure from rust underneath, as Geoff suggests.
I have managed to get hold of another wheel for a pattern, and I’ll be sending it to Myrtle. So, when they’ve done mine, they should have a mould for 401 (and later) steering wheel rims for anyone’s future rebuilds. The pattern wheel I’ve got is the early 401/402 clamp fixing type, so if anyone needs one of those (this has a good rim, and an OK hub, but torn leather on the spokes), that will be available eventually.
Hugh
Old 03-07-09, 05:56 AM

Default Steering wheels: more

Hugh,

Myrtle have a 401 etc Blummels wheel as I sent one to them recently. I have also received a 400 wheel with stainless spokes. From a direct comparison with the old Arnolt wheel the rim is perhaps a little thicker but otherwise a very good match.

Peter
Old 03-07-09, 12:23 PM

Default 401 wheel

Hi,
We will (my wife and I) be starting our 401 restoration project shortly (we have been told that is one of two "factory" webasto roofed cars) and are missing nearly everything!
The car had its engine, gearbox door locks, interiors, clocks and steering wheel etc stolen while in a lock up near Bath.

We are curently restoring the "doner" car which we bought 2 years ago for parts.
However a car called Henry (HRY) which has driven 1000s of miles without any problems was never going to be dismounted to rebuild another!

This has set back the restoration of UML but a stearing wheel would be a great start! If you are considering selling it we would be very intersted.
Old 03-07-09, 02:09 PM

Anthony,
It might be worth mentioning the stolen engine number on here if you have it, just in case any of our members is offered it for sale.

Kevin
Old 03-07-09, 02:22 PM

Anthony,
Yes, I would be happy to sell the wheel, once Myrtle have finished with it (though maybe they don't need it - see Peter's post). It is the early type, which I think goes on the same column/splines (I haven't tried it on my car, but I could do that to check) as the later slide-up-and-down-with-three-places-for-the-securing-bolt type, and it will need the clamp as well, which I haven't got, though it shouldn't be difficult to make something to do the job.
All that may make no sense if you haven't seen the two types of hub (it didn't to me, until I saw the wheel and saw how it differed from mine), but I can put some photos on Flikr to make it clearer. Of course, someone like Brian May may have more of a choice.
I do have most of the rolling chassis of a 401, which I've used as a backup source of parts for my 403, which might have some useful parts for you if you're stuck - though it doesn't have any of the bits you list as stolen - again, going through the discussions here will probably help you find better sources of bits.
Hugh
Old 04-07-09, 07:48 PM
Dale409
This message has been deleted by Kevin H. Reason: auto reply
Old 05-07-09, 01:43 AM

Default new threads spawned from this one ...

Anthony,

Your previous post contained several topics, but none related to steering wheels. I hope you don't mind but I have removed your post from this thread and created a few new discussion threads on your behalf, as follows;

401 Stolen Parts

How do I post photographs?

Webasto Roofed 401's

Regards,
Kevin
Old 05-07-09, 01:04 PM

Sorry about the confused letter!
I also wanted to ask Hugh Miller how we can get into contact with him to talk about the steering wheel and other bits he may have. (havnt figured out the system yet).
Are you in England (can one ask such a question?)
We will be back in the summer and could arrange pick up of bits. We will have a trailer in case any of the parts are large.
Can I send you my email?
Old 05-07-09, 01:49 PM

Anthony, if you click on Hugh's username on one of his posts a menu will drop down which will contain contact options.

If a member has not changed the default, you will be able to contact them via an email or by sending them a private message. Both options go via this site, but if you send an email then the recipient will be able to see your email address, so they can reply directly.

Email addresses are not exchanged by using the Private Message function.