Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Window regulators

Old 08-09-22, 12:20 PM

Default Window regulators

I managed to obtain a pair of regulators for my 403.

What surprised me is that, while the sliders and springs are well greased the winding mechanisms do not look as if they were ever greased or even oiled. They also seem to be galvanised rather than painted black.

Could I have your opinions on whether they should be greased, light oiled should be used or just left as they are?
Old 09-09-22, 08:52 PM

My 403 window regulators are out of the car just now. They are covered in dirty grease. I'm intending to clean them down and regrease with fresh.
Old 09-09-22, 10:28 PM

Are they painted black or galvanised?

While the windows are out I am thinking of replacing the felt frame linings as the glass rattles when slightly open. Are there any rubber based alternatives available?
Old 10-09-22, 08:44 AM

In answer to your first question, I'm away for four weeks so can't check. I would bet though that they're painted satin black under all the grease, like the rest of the interior metalwork.

Secondly, I've been researching a rubber equivalent to replace the outside felt on metal strip which is now unobtainable. So far, the only one I could find comes in 1 metre lengths, not long enough. I've been looking at using two narrow felt strips screwed to the wood, in place of the original item which as yoy will know is a metal strip with two felt strips, the whole thing screwed to the wood.
Old 10-09-22, 09:04 AM

In answer to your first question, I'm away for four weeks so can't check. I would bet though that they're painted satin black under all the grease, like the rest of the interior metalwork.

Secondly, I've been researching a rubber equivalent to replace the outside felt on metal strip which is now unobtainable. So far, the only one I could find comes in 1 metre lengths, not long enough. I've been looking at using two narrow felt strips screwed to the wood, in place of the original item which as yoy will know is a metal strip with two felt strips, the whole thing screwed to the wood.
Old 10-09-22, 09:10 AM

Thank you Mike,
Enjoy your trip
Old 16-09-22, 03:22 PM

Finally successfully installed the new window regulator and replaced the felt with rubber backed felt, except the window wouldn't wind up into the rubber at the top, so that bit is now a composit of rubber with felt in between.

Looking at the outside of the window there is a large gap between the crome door trim and a drop of about 3/4" to the metal felt strip.

Should there be a rubber strip there, and if so does anyone know what profile it is?
Old 18-09-22, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg View Post
Finally successfully installed the new window regulator and replaced the felt with rubber backed felt, except the window wouldn't wind up into the rubber at the top, so that bit is now a composit of rubber with felt in between.

Looking at the outside of the window there is a large gap between the crome door trim and a drop of about 3/4" to the metal felt strip.

Should there be a rubber strip there, and if so does anyone know what profile it is?
I'm still away so can't completely answer your question. However, there is no rubber strip on the outside of the wind up window glass. The original wide metal strip, that had two parallel felt strips fastened to it, was screwed to the wood that in turn is screwed to the steel door frame. The two felt strips were supposed to wipe the window glass as it was wound down, much like a more modern rubber strip would have. Not sure about the 3/4" gap. All I can say is that the chrome window frame has to be shimmed where it screws to the door frame in order to get the horizontal chrome finisher strip to fit properly.
Old 21-09-22, 01:26 PM

Thank you Mike.

I have the original wide felt strips, so assume the gaps were intended.

A couple of final queries. I took out four philips headed screws, about 1 1/2" long from the door and forgot to put them back. I couldn't work out what they did when I took them out and still can't. Any ideas?

Finally the winder had to be different! Instead of the spring mounted plate on the square section there is just a hole. Would a modified split pin be enough to lock the winding handle in place or is there a special piece that should be used?
Old 21-09-22, 01:43 PM

Away till sometime first week October. Sorry no idea about the screws without being at my 403. Similarly the window handles - I remember they have a kind of sprung pin in them which if not seized up should lock the handle on the shaft. Once fitted, I seem to remember one had to insert a small diameter pin in the hole to depress the spring to remove the handle. I have not yet refitted mine so can't be sure of detail till I get back.
Old 27-09-22, 08:49 PM

Hello Peter.
Would it be too obvious to suggest that the four 1 1/2" screws are for the door pulls? If so, do you have these? I have just replaced mine so can help with parts to make new door pulls.

I think one of my regulator squares lost the spring and peg. If memory serves I used a short length of 1/8" welding rod to hold the handle on. It needs to be exactly the length of the outer diameter on the handle so that the sprung finisher holds it in place.
Old 05-10-22, 05:36 PM

No, I took them out from inside the door frames. I couldn't work out what they did at the time, which is why I forgot to put them back! Although I am missing a couple of the door pull screws too.

Thank you for the suggestion on welding rod. I'll follow that up
Old 04-12-22, 05:27 PM

On the" better late than never" basis, I've just finished rebuilding the first of the two doors. The 1 1/2" screws hold the inside wooden piece down into the door frame.