Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

NEW CAR AGAIN.... 1956 Bristol 405 CHASSIS - 4106. 405GMT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-21, 12:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Wales.
Posts: 487
Default

It probably was but driving then was about car control, before covid restrictions put us into lockdown I took my 401 LRU on its three brief road test runs, the first one or two I thought it was awful, fighting the remote change gear lever, missing gears because I could not remember where they where I was beginning to question what the hell I ever saw in them then on trip number three I took it a bit further and on the way back decided to drive it a bit hard, fast into corners change down keep the power on, pure bloody fun the magic was back.
More recently I have done a few runs with MXF which has a few teething problems as well but did a few hard charges up a local hill to try and provoke the problem, failed, but what fun.
As a VSCC friend said 60MPH flat out in an Austin 7 special is more fun than 120 mph + in a Ferrari and he should know he owns both.
Another great car to drive fast is an R Type or Mk Vi Bentley, heavy powerful and can be balanced on the steering through the bends and an awful lot of fun when you get it right, S2 Bentley even better performance up there with the V8 Bristols.
Total fun, Bristol 603 mine was set up by the previous owners and is a wonderful car to drive.

Last edited by Geoff Kingston; 29-11-21 at 12:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-21, 12:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 58
Default

Sounds like fun, Geoff. I hope my MG TC will be like that. I have uprated everything including fitting a supercharger. I just hope the darn thing can stop!

(I have a totally new braking system with Alfin drums and a servo but proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say.)
https://i.postimg.cc/7YJKh95M/IMG-0168.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-22, 12:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: cheshire
Posts: 77
Default

evening all !

hope you all had a great xmas & new years !

some pics showing the 405 progress,

best

HM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6127.jpg (601.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6129.jpg (449.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (291.2 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17-01-22, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 210
Default

Crikey - good for you.
I'd sort of presumed you might have tucked it away until springtime!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18-01-22, 09:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: cheshire
Posts: 77
Default

Thanks Andrew ! I thought i might as well get as much done !
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19-01-22, 05:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
Posts: 283
Default Stoic work on New Car again

You have indeed had a busy time but must feel good to see the progress.
Carry on young man, you are doing brilliantly.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 27-01-22, 01:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: cheshire
Posts: 77
Default

Dear Nick !

Hope you are well.

Thank you so much !

Yes, absolutely I cannot wait too see it all stripped down !

Going to be well worth it,

Thanks again
HM
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-22, 09:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: cheshire
Posts: 77
Default

quick update !

can see the light at the end of the tunnel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9660.jpg (449.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (478.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg b3.jpg (403.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg b4.jpg (429.7 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-22, 09:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 210
Default

Is it moving away from you or towards you !!
Wow - it's moved on a lot - hopefully not too many unexpected surprises.

Best
A
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-22, 08:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: cheshire
Posts: 77
Smile

Thank you Andrew !

Hahhaha yes which one of the two ?!

Yes - been slaving away at it with every spare second I get !

I polished the front nose this evening - take a look at the results, i cannot wait for the whole car to look like that !

How are you Andrew, you and the motors keeping well ?

Best
h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b2.jpg (400.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg b3.jpg (395.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (499.8 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-22, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 58
Thumbs up

That looks smart!

If you have the courage to do it, then polish the whole car.! It will look more expensive than it is!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1956, 405


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 PM.


This is the live site

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2