Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

New Bristol Owner - Solex 32PBIC question

Old 10-06-15, 07:54 PM

Default New Bristol Owner - Solex 32PBIC question

Hello,

I have just bought a 403 that had not run for about eight years. It's definitely a project and one that will keep me busy for a while I suspect. I am hoping all you experienced people will bear with me and my probably stupid questions as I work through everything that needs doing. So far, after two days of effort, we have got the engine running. However the rear Solex carb top cover has a stripped female thead in the aluminium top cover where the inlet pipe goes through the banjo. Before I acquire the relevant helicoil kit, does anyone know the thread type and size? I initially guessed it would be imperial of some kind, but I believe Solex was French and therefore maybe metric? Any help appreciated.

Regards

Mikebro
'53 Bristol 403
'56 Austin-Healey 100 (-4)
Old 10-06-15, 09:42 PM

Mikebro,
All the treads on the Solex carbs are Metric .
The banjo bolt thread is 12mm x 1.25 pitch
It is important to drill the old hole out to the correct size ,square in both directions , then tap the hole with the Helicoil kit tap and finally face the outside edge where the fibre washer makes contact .
Then fit the Helicoil .
Unless all this machining is done in line you will have problems with leaks at the fibre washers .
I suggest all three carby tops have the same treatment .

If you don't have some milling or drilling equipment take them to a engineer to have the job done .
Good luck with the restoration.

Geoff
Old 11-06-15, 09:43 AM

Many thanks Geoff. That's just what I needed. I have a model maker friend who may be able to help me with the machining. It looks as if trying to get a spare top for one of these Solexes would not be as easy as I thought so the thread repair may be the only option.

Rgds

Mike
Old 11-06-15, 10:42 AM

Mike ,
Spare second hand tops are available , but long term you are better fitting Helicoils and machining the face of yours .
These carburettors were fitted to many different cars in the 40s - 60's and machined differently for different applications .
Even the tops had the needle & seat face machined to different depths , this will alter the float level .
Check that all your three are identical .

Geoff
Old 11-06-15, 12:36 PM

Default 403 restoration

Hi Mikebro,

If you are based anywhere near London, you are very welcome to come and inspect my 403 for anything that could help you with your project. Good luck.

Dave Dale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebro View Post
Hello,

I have just bought a 403 that had not run for about eight years. It's definitely a project and one that will keep me busy for a while I suspect. I am hoping all you experienced people will bear with me and my probably stupid questions as I work through everything that needs doing. So far, after two days of effort, we have got the engine running. However the rear Solex carb top cover has a stripped female thead in the aluminium top cover where the inlet pipe goes through the banjo. Before I acquire the relevant helicoil kit, does anyone know the thread type and size? I initially guessed it would be imperial of some kind, but I believe Solex was French and therefore maybe metric? Any help appreciated.

Regards

Mikebro
'53 Bristol 403
'56 Austin-Healey 100 (-4)

Tags
carb, solex, thread