Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Door Button Seals

Old 26-03-14, 11:51 PM

Default Door Button Seals

After a lot of effort I managed to replace the rubber seal on the outer panel but I am stumped by the inner door button. I can't find any mention of how to dismantle the button to replace the seal.

Can anyone advise? Please don't say that it is held by another of those massive circlips on the inside of the panel. They must have been surplus GWR items!
Old 27-03-14, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg View Post
After a lot of effort I managed to replace the rubber seal on the outer panel but I am stumped by the inner door button. I can't find any mention of how to dismantle the button to replace the seal.

Can anyone advise? Please don't say that it is held by another of those massive circlips on the inside of the panel. They must have been surplus GWR items!
Which button are you referring to? Lock, window ...?
Old 27-03-14, 09:00 AM

I only know of buttons that operate the door locks on the 403. It is those seals.

I can get to the back of the locks for the outer button but the front inner button is at the front of the door and there is no obvious method of accessing it to replace the seal.
Old 28-03-14, 07:32 PM

Had a poke around today after replacing the passenger door outer seal.

The inner door mechanism is mounted behind an interior panel above the window winding mechanism and there is no obvious ways of getting at it.

Looking at the seal itself the outer lip is very tight in its location and the inner lip is held behind the button by a backing washer which is probably held in place by a circlip (or would be if it hadn't perished).
Old 28-03-14, 09:20 PM

Default door button seals

You have to remove the panel from the door frame to access the mechanism ....

Mke
Old 28-03-14, 10:11 PM

I didn't want to hear that!
Old 29-03-14, 10:09 PM

Sorry!

Mke
Old 30-03-14, 04:40 PM

Smile

Job done with some helpful advice from Julian Caples of the Australian club who provided the seals and some photos of the back of the panel.

He said that the inner hole could be slipped over the button head. I applied a little silicon grease to ease the way. The outer is held in place by the back of the panel and an aluminium seal holder which is riveted to the front of the panel. Not being prepared to drill and re rivet I eased it out with a screw driver until there was enough space to ease the outer rim in. Not as easy as I had anticipated but achieved in the end. I finished off by hammering the holder back into shape. Not a pretty job but it should be covered by the door card.

All I need to do now is sort out the fuel pump......