View Single Post
Old 26-07-22, 04:45 AM

Dave,
I found something that might be of interest. I was in regular contact with Clyde at the time and I just found this in an email from him on 21 May 2008.

--- begin email ---
Subject: 406 hubs and 411 back axle update

Thanks for the advice from Thor & Claude. I am not into wire wheels for the 406, I think it would look a little out of character and cost even more.
I have passed on various ideas including Thor's to my engineer. He has responded by saying that in fact it is easier and safer to machine some metal from inside the rear 406 hubs (plenty of casting apparently) and use new larger / stronger bearings to fit the rear 411 axle shafts and disc/calliper set up. It means the original 406 hubs will be used back and front with same stud pattern without modifying the stud pattern and creating a possible weak spot. Minilites come in 15x6.5" format for the 404/405/406 as well as for the 411, so I will end up using the same wheel and tyre combination but with standard stud pattern for the 406. No big deal about that at all.

Will keep you informed as we progress with the solution. Now taking off front end to check for issues and rebuild as well as preparing engine bay. Engine and box out for rebuild and so more work continues at a decent pace. Photos to be issued next week, so I will update the blog for all to see. Still doesn't look pretty, but a lot's been achieved so far.

Clyde
--- end ---