Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

401 two speed wiper conversion.

Old 25-11-18, 11:30 PM

Default 401 two speed wiper conversion.

Apologies if the information is already on here somewhere but I have failed to find any guidance on doing a 2 speed windscreen wiper conversion on a 401.
What I am hoping to find is a 2 speed wiper motor which will fit the existing wiper cable and an associated switch which will not be two difficult to wire in.
Alternatively a more powerful faster single speed motor to fit the existing drive box, as would like to fit a longer more effective wiper blade and arm.
Any suggestions?
Old 26-11-18, 10:38 AM

I already have two speed wipers. Not working and hardly working!
Old 26-11-18, 10:21 PM

I have made that conversion with my B400.
I got the parts from Stafford Vehicle Components.
As it`a few years ago so I donīt remember every detail, but I had no
unsurmountable problems.
Lucas wiper motor 14W 2 speed:
I made a new bracket, connection to the old tubes and cable could be made
rather easily, against the statement of Stafford.
Driving gear shold be changed to 105 (?) degrees.
A suiting switch (off-on-on) is nessary, Lucas 35927.
4 new wires between motor and switch should be easy to make.
Problem:
I couldnīt find any possibility to use the original switch,
and the Lucas part is a toggle switch.
I fixed it under the facia to avoid any disfigure.
Old 07-12-18, 07:13 PM

I have ordered the parts from Stafford Vehicle Components today but have gone for the 95 degree gear set to keep the sweep of the wipers the same as the original.
A new switch as you said to mount under the dash and a plug for the wiring to the motor with a short loom on it which will hopefully make it straight forward to connect up to the switch and power supply.
Probably won't have a go until after Christmas to try and fit it all up and will post again then on how we got on.
Another tip from my pal John Harris which might improve the efficiency of the existing motor is to fit a relay into the power supply.
As we are exploring options I am going to try this on my other 401, he said it worked wonders on the heater blower speed on his Austin Cambridge and thinks it will help on the wiper motor as well.
He wants now to check out the wiring diagram as he though the Bristol motor had a park facilty which it didn't so will keep you posted as things develop.
Geoff.

Last edited by Geoff Kingston; 09-12-18 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Additional info and a correction
Old 04-05-23, 03:37 PM

Default Wiper switch

I am going to do a two speed wiper conversion on my 403 and have followed the advice regarding what is required, Stafford vehicle Comments were very helpful, and also do a rotary switch for a two speed wiper which I hope I can use and keep the original knob - links to parts herewith
The motor we supply is https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/products/lrw...ed-wiper-motor and the drive gears that fit are these https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/products/lul...per-drive-gear
But not sure what switch was used, may be this one https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/products/2sw...y-wiper-switch
Chris