Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Wanted - anything Bristol car related

Wanted - Owners Views for University Design Project

Closed Thread

Old 29-01-10, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave dale View Post
Kevin,
There was no intention to offend anyone - I'm sorry that you have taken my posting so badly.
Dave, I'm not offended, but I did feel the need point out a couple of relevant facts from my perspective. I hope I didn't offend you either!

Let's see if we can get this thread back on topic

Regards,
Kevin
Old 29-01-10, 10:49 PM

Default Wanted - Owners Views for University Design Project

I thought a sensitive Australian was one that worries about a wet fart in
non-rental with cloth seats on the way to a wedding?
More seriously, most people who start a new club do so because they were
thrown out of another. Nothing wrong with that.
I must say I enjoy the site very much, but I think this is now getting a bit
out of hand.
New thread?
Excuse my sense of humour tonight, just back from a funeral. And my
apologies to all Australians. I really meant South Africans.
With best regards,
Andrew.
Old 30-01-10, 12:08 AM

Now I feel bad!
I didn't realise how many members there might be in Australia.
I MEANT SOUTH AFRICA!
They are the wild ones - unless of course they own a Bristol.
I think I may have made a fool of myself, but it was of course in jest.
Keep up the good work Kevin!
With best regards,
Andy.
Old 30-01-10, 01:05 AM
Ex Member

Hi Kevin,
Not sure what happened, but I do not have a problem with your work / site.
Regards from Canada.
Dorien
Old 30-01-10, 03:03 AM

Am I the only one that finds it all a tad amusing !
Old 30-01-10, 12:50 PM

Default Wanted owners' views

Thanks Kevin,
No offence taken and I hope that we can all forget it now. I agree - back to the topic - I have filled in and returned Gordon's questionnaire. I am wondering how the answers from the members who respond can aid him in designing a car.

BTW, following my initial reply directed to Gordon on the forum on 28/01, every posting in this thread has appeared in my Outlook Express inbox
( bristol@davedale.co.uk ) as well as on the forum. Any idea please on how to stop this happening ? Thank you.
Dave Dale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Howard View Post
Dave, I'm not offended, but I did feel the need point out a couple of relevant facts from my perspective. I hope I didn't offend you either!

Let's see if we can get this thread back on topic

Regards,
Kevin
Old 30-01-10, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave dale View Post
BTW, following my initial reply directed to Gordon on the forum on 28/01, every posting in this thread has appeared in my Outlook Express inbox as well as on the forum. Any idea please on how to stop this happening ? Thank you.
Dave Dale.
Dave, I have set your email notifications for this forum to "No Email Notifications", but I noticed that you had some other forums set to receive a daily email update.

You can always change your email notification settings by going into Member Options (you must be logged in otherwise Member Options will not appear on the menu). Then go into "Edit FORUM Subscriptions" (scroll down to see it on the left hand side menu). After changing the email notification subscriptions be sure to click "Update" at the bottom of the page.

Any problems please let me know.

Kevin
Old 01-02-10, 09:23 PM

Default email updates

Kevin,

Thanks for that. Actually I DO want notification to my email address that posts have arrived for my selected topics, but only that information. That's how it works for me normally. What was happening with the correspondance regarding Gordon's postings was that the whole posting and all the replies were appearing in full in my Outlook Express inbox.
I'll try to sort this out to get back to normal, using your guide below. I hope not to trouble you again but if I get stuck I will let you know. Many thanks.
Dave Dale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devadmin View Post
Dave, I have set your email notifications for this forum to "No Email Notifications", but I noticed that you had some other forums set to receive a daily email update.

You can always change your email notification settings by going into Member Options (you must be logged in otherwise Member Options will not appear on the menu). Then go into "Edit FORUM Subscriptions" (scroll down to see it on the left hand side menu). After changing the email notification subscriptions be sure to click "Update" at the bottom of the page.

Any problems please let me know.

Kevin
Old 25-02-10, 10:37 AM

Default Research Findings

post removed

Last edited by gjaf; 25-02-10 at 01:28 PM.
Old 25-02-10, 12:47 PM

Post removed.

Last edited by browning l; 25-02-10 at 02:29 PM.
Old 25-02-10, 03:00 PM

That isn't correct. Tavistock have an interest in Bristol Cars which
isn't necessairly the same as being sole owners. Tavistock have
interests in lts of things they don't wholly own. Who has what
shares (or indeed of what type and rights) is unknown. Toby most
certainly controls it and if he has investors that isn't any of our
business really.

I thought the tone of your post a little disparaging if you don't
minnd my saying

Paul
Old 25-02-10, 03:09 PM

This is not a new story. Thats on old story. Some years old. Why repeating
on old story?
So, what?
Old 25-02-10, 03:16 PM

Default Wanted - Owners Views for U

I think that your comments are somewhat over the top. At least the boy is
trying. I think he did quite well - he does say it is a first draft after
all. When did you ever produce such a document, Mr Browning? Or in your day
were things different? (Cue for lecture on how the world has changed for
the worse....)
Old 25-02-10, 03:30 PM

Default reasons for post removal

I have removed the original message pending revisions to the file. Perhaps a link to a shorter presentation focusing on key information found out rather than the full document will be more suitable in time
Old 25-02-10, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdownplace View Post
That isn't correct. Tavistock have an interest in Bristol Cars which isn't necessairly the same as being sole owners. Tavistock have interests in lts of things they don't wholly own. Who has what shares (or indeed of what type and rights) is unknown. Toby most
certainly controls it and if he has investors that isn't any of our
business really.

I thought the tone of your post a little disparaging if you don't
minnd my saying

Paul
I have no problem with your reaction, Paul...I responded to a request for comment based on my perception of the quality of the work presented. He will gain more by thinking about my response, than if it were not "a little disparaging." Young students need to learn and appreciate that in order to gain approval of their efforts, they must present quality work. I don't think he did. In his response to me, he did not seem offended; maybe his style is not to show offense.

It is easy for any of us to take exception to another's style, comments, or content. Styles differ from culture to culture, and within a culture; British MPs, for example, are permiited to attack opposing members in the House in a way that is absolutly not acceptable in the US Congress, as recent events have proven.

Just yesterday, for example, in a Congressional hearing, one Congressman felt obligated to apologize to Mr. Toyoda for his treatment from other committee members.

I'm not in a position to debate the degree of Tavistock's ownership or control, but it does exist, it is pertinent, and the author either ignored it, or didn't know it. To me, he should know it, and included a reference instead of what he did write.
Old 25-02-10, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHansen View Post
I think that your comments are somewhat over the top. At least the boy is trying. I think he did quite well - he does say it is a first draft after all.

When did you ever produce such a document, Mr Browning? Or in your day were things different? (Cue for lecture on how the world has changed for the worse....)
Sir, please see my response to Lansdownplace.

In your ad hominem questioning of me, bolded above, maybe you can tell me what my, or anyone else's, past efforts have to do with the author's efforts?
Old 25-02-10, 05:04 PM

I wasn't repeating it co was correcting the previous poster wwho
made an inaccurate statement
Old 25-02-10, 05:04 PM

Default reasons for post removal

I read the report at 100mph so not all 72 pages. When I was at
architectural school it was all about design and I
don't think a restyled old model is the answer. It's all a bit safe.

I guess the honey pot for young designers is doing a Morgan Aeromax
scheme and getting a job. Designing what the company are doing but
better.

The old adage that people don't know what they want till they are
shown it being true.
Old 25-02-10, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning l View Post
Sir, please see my response to Lansdownplace.

In your ad hominem questioning of me, bolded above, maybe you can tell me what my, or anyone else's, past efforts have to do with the author's efforts?
Well, well, quite a lot of work went into that 71 page presentation and its pity some smug ex salesman has decided to look down his nose and savage it.

As for Lansdownplace's subtle rebuke against your original snide commentry, well, I am not so subtle! I ask you - 'ad hominem' ...................... words fail me................ why not stop playing the 'four fingered pink oboe player' and defend your argument rather than attempting to scorn Lansdownplace with such a quaint facile device as 'ad hominem'

As a response to my posting, I look forward to a huff of sanctimonious outrage from you in due course.

Disgustedly yours.

Ozy
Old 25-02-10, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
Well, well, quite a lot of work went into that 71 page presentation and its pity some smug ex salesman has decided to look down his nose and savage it.

As for Lansdownplace's subtle rebuke against your original snide commentry, well, I am not so subtle! I ask you - 'ad hominem' ...................... words fail me................ why not stop playing the 'four fingered pink oboe player' and defend your argument rather than attempting to scorn Lansdownplace with such a quaint facile device as 'ad hominem'

As a response to my posting, I look forward to a huff of sanctimonious outrage from you in due course.

Disgustedly yours.

Ozy
Dear Disgustedly,

Your post - "to scorn Lansdownplace with such a quaint facile device as 'ad hominem' " reveals your ability to comprehend; my ad hominem remark was directed, not at Lansdownplace, but at Lukehansen, who challenged my credentials based on questioning whether I had done any comparable work.

I do admire your efforts to be crude; so few are willing to attempt it, and fewer still succeed. Congratulations.
Closed Thread