Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > For Sale - Cars, Parts & Automobilia (Bristol related only)

Great British Icon !

Old 31-12-12, 06:52 AM

Default Great British Icon !

The Aston Martin DB5 has become a great British icon that may even compete with the Jag E type following the massive success of the latest Bond franchise !

I think in many ways a Bristol is a better car than both of them and the addition of wire spoked wheels completes that era look !

I think wire spoked wheels may suit the styling of the Bristol 404 to 411's best, but I have them available to suit 400 to Blenheim 4.They bolt to the existing hubs like the normal steel or alloy wheels and are compatible with the existing tyres in most cases, so no modification to the car is necessary.

The only Bristol I have ever seen with wire wheels was an Aerodyne model that obviously had extensively modified hubs fitted that must have been quite expensive ! These easily fitted bolt on wheels will bring a new styling option to the existing factory steel / alloy's for all Bristol models.

Please private message me if of interest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bristol406wirewheels.jpg (205.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg my411spokes.jpg (118.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 31-12-12, 07:03 AM

Can they be supplied with balanced tyres already fitted ?
Old 31-12-12, 07:04 AM

Yes they can Greg - thanks for the interest :-)

And they are also available for Arnolt Bristol's as well ! In fact, I think they will look superb on all the Bristol DHC models such as the 402 and 405.

Last edited by GREG; 31-12-12 at 07:13 AM.
Old 31-12-12, 06:18 PM
Banned

Default Bolt-on wire wheels-street-rod look?

I have to disagree. Although the idea of fitting wire wheels does add to the classic look, it would also necessitate the true, knock-off wires like the ones fitted to Astons and E-types. These are available from Dayton Wire Wheel, and they will gladly make them in the rim size of your choice, correct number of spokes, stainless spokes for easy maintenence, a lifetime warranty on straightness, and will actually enhance the looks of the cars. I have a set for a later XJ-6, and they come with the adaptors that fit on the bolt circle of the standard hubs. A very easy conversion, and the quality is without comparison.
If you are inclined to consider the wire wheel look, then this is a good way to go about it.
Old 31-12-12, 08:36 PM

Default wire wheels

does your mail have wire wheels for a 406 which are 16" and do you have hub-caps
Old 31-12-12, 09:13 PM
Banned

Default Wire wheels and Rover's post?

A rather confusing post on a fairly complicated subject. First off, Bristols never were fitted with wire wheels, even as an option. Now, some owners may have gone to the expense of specifying wire wheels, and Bristols being essentially hand-built cars, these wishes could be filled quite easily. Many U.S. makes offered wires as an option. Makes like Chrysler and Cadillac, even Buick, on it's specialty models. These were all bolt-ons, not knockoffs. I have them on my Imperial. They are a far cry from a genuine knock-off, but they are original to the cars.
Old 31-12-12, 11:17 PM

No! The point was that Bristol pierced wheels were innovative, marking their place as a modern, aero-developed company!
Old 31-12-12, 11:38 PM
Banned

Default Wheels on the Bristols

Certainly not any sort of breakthrough, having been around a long time before 1949 or thereabouts. 'Pierced wheels?' Steel wheels were much more sturdy and were not prone to rot like the old wood-spoke, steel rims of the past. Plus,they did not go out of alignment as easily as wire wheels.
Old 01-01-13, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover12t View Post
does your mail have wire wheels for a 406 which are 16" and do you have hub-caps
Wire wheels are available that would suit a 406 PCD in 16" and I have some good second hand hub caps or a 406 to 409 ( Flat centres for the correct badge )
Old 03-01-13, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG View Post

The only Bristol I have ever seen with wire wheels was an Aerodyne model
Here's two pictures of 404-X-3094 that appear to have been taken when it was relatively new. The rear wheel arches had to be modified due to the increased track. It also has non-stock bumpers and grill bars. This car was purchased by Bill Borden in 1978 and the bodywork has now been restored to original and the correct Bristol wheels installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3094 Early_-_1.jpg (263.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3094 Early_-_2.jpg (266.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 3094 3Q rear William Borden September 1978.jpg (105.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 3094 3Q front William Borden September 1978.jpg (94.9 KB, 15 views)