Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > For Sale - Cars, Parts & Automobilia (Bristol related only)

Bristol 85/100 engine for sale

Old 16-09-10, 08:53 AM

Default Bristol 85/100 engine for sale

Basically I have all the parts necessary to build-up a Bristol 85 engine to 85A or C spec (Solex or SU carbs). The valves and camshaft are 100A spec.

This includes:

A sound 85A block which will need new liners (and some machining).
New (JP) +20 thou 8.5:1 (nominal) pistons.
A crack tested and fully checked -10 thou 85 crank.
A balanced set of 85 conrods with new little end bushes to match the (new) JP pistons. New +10 thou main and big end bearings, the bearing caps etc to go with the bearings and the block.
A crank damper and clutch and flywheel, all balanced with the crank.
Timing gear, new timing chain, re-built oil pump, external timing gear covers etc are all included.

The whole lot is currently built into a (different) 85 block (85A 1160) which has all the rebored cylinder liners, core plugs, camshaft bearings, 100A camshaft built into it, all ready to go, but with a nasty little hole in the block behind the push rods into the water jacket. This had been repaired, but has opened up again. It could still be repaired (by stitching probably ), but with most of the engine components having to come out of it. I am open to discussion as to which block is the better one to use – the costs to repair the original block or substitute the alternative block are probably about the same, depending on who is going to build the engine up. Or both blocks can be bought.

There are two cylinder head options: (only one is for sale, you decide which)

The head (85A 1160) that was all ready to be attached to the above (damaged) block is completely prepared and ready to be attached to a block.
This head has been pressure tested, checked and fully machined with new valves to 100A spec fitted. (Hurley Engineering in Bath). The valve seats have not been modified for use with unleaded petrol, though this could be done. The head was modified a long time ago for use with Solex Carbs. (The set that came off the head before it was overhauled is available.) All rocker gear has been cleaned, checked and assembled into the head. There is a set of push rods to go with it.

I also have a bare sound 85 cylinder head plus a full set of rocker gear including shafts, push rods, cross pushrod tubes etc, unassembled but all believed sound. The head has not had any preparatory machining or valve seat work to either use unleaded fuel or to be enlarged to match the Bristol 100 spec. I can supply 3 SU carbs (85A spec) or parts to build up 3 Solex carbs, with appropriate jetting to suit 85C or 100A spec.

I have exhaust manifolds to suit, plus starter motor, distributor tower and distributor, water pump to suit, plus carb balance linkage gear, most gaskets, rocker covers, blanking plates etc etc.

As for price, this will be “ball park” until I discuss with a purchaser exactly what is wanted and in what state, but it will come to around £7k UK pounds for the block and all short engine parts. (This includes one block, not both). £3.5k for the fully prepared head. £2k for the unprepared head as detailed above.

There will be a complete price list of all parts available shortly.

Any inspection welcomed

Andrew Blow UK
Bristols from Andrew Blow
sales@amjblow.co.uk