Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Non Bristol Forums > Restoration and Repair - non specific

Restoration and Repair - non specific Restoration and repair of non-Bristol cars

Gearbox case jointing compound

Old 01-05-14, 11:49 PM

Default Gearbox case jointing compound

On the 6 cyl BW gearbox there are three gaskets. Two on the extension and one between the Gearbox and bellhousing. The other joints have, according to the manual, jointing compound.

Does anyone know what this was and what would be an equivalent if it is not available. Thanks.
Old 02-05-14, 01:08 AM

412usa ,
I use Loctite Aviation Gasket Sealer No 3 (non hardening type) , on all applications . I don't like silicone type gasket cement .
Make sure you coat the ends and threads of the through bolts with this gasket sealer and don't put too much on the top case as any excess might get to the selector shafts and effect the shift.

IMPORTANT tension all main case through bolts to 40 inch lb. (not 40 foot lb.) ,
this is not much more than just nipped up . If tensioned more the bearings will distort and get noisy very quickly.
Also just nip up the nuts holding the top on the main case ,as if over tightened you will pull the studs out of the case .
Make up & use the three gaskets as you described .

Another tip ,
the circlips on most of the replacement bearings are narrower now than the circlip groove , if installed as is it can allow the shafts to move in the case .
Try to buy the correct width circlip
or
slightly bend the thinner circlips into a wave pattern which will hold the circlip firm in the bearing and case groove.

Geoff
Old 02-05-14, 01:13 AM

Thanks Geoff, great reply.
Old 02-05-14, 07:52 AM

I would agree regarding silicone, it can cause more problems than cures.
I use Hylomar blue, an aviation grade, non setting sealant. let it set slightly before nipping up. The origonal sealant was probably Hermatite red which was also non setting, don't know if it is still available.
David