Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Other Bristol engined cars

Other Bristol engined cars Arnolt, AC, Frazer Nash, Cooper, Lister, Lotus, Tojeiro

VPL 441 AC Aceca

Old 10-06-13, 01:27 PM

Default VPL 441 AC Aceca

Hi I am trying to find details of the above car which was the works prototype. Donald Campbell owned it though I am uinclear if it was just loaned to him by AC. Apparently he was responsible for having the Bristol engine fitted, though there is no information to corroborate this information, which is why I am appealing for same. Any help would be appreciated as the owner would like to return the vehicle back to its Campbell ownership days.Thanks
Old 10-06-13, 08:36 PM
Banned

Default AC Aceca

I clearly remember driving an AC Ace with the Bristol engine around 1961, and it was a high-spirited drive with having to keep the revs up to appreciate the performance. We looked the engine over, and it was the Bristol engine. I am not clear on the Aceca, but they were likely fitted with the same drivetrain.
Old 11-06-13, 10:07 PM

Hi. The ACOC Aceca register states that VPL441 was purchased by Donald Campbell in 1964, and that he fitted the Bristol engine, but it doesn`t say when.
The first 'factory' Aceca Bristol was built in 1956.
Old 12-06-13, 08:14 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikbj68 View Post
Hi. The ACOC Aceca register states that VPL441 was purchased by Donald Campbell in 1964, and that he fitted the Bristol engine, but it doesn`t say when.
The first 'factory' Aceca Bristol was built in 1956.
Hi thanks for the response. Looks like I`d better get in touch with the AC register because that is totally wrong. The car was built in 54 as the first Aceca prototype and Campbell isn`t listed anywhere in the logbooks- especially in 64 when it was in Torquay, original or continuation.That`s why we think there was some arrangement between the factory and Campbell,especially over the Bristol engine fitment.
Thanks anyway for your response and help.
P