Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion

Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion About the company, clubs, car owners, and Bristol discussion not specific to the 6,8 or 10 cyl cars.

Out Of Administration; New Owner - Frazer Nash

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22-04-11, 07:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 93
Default

I have just remembered - Bristol used to be agent for Zagato in the 70's selling their boxy Zele electric car so there is kind of an historic connection with electric power I suppose.....
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22-04-11, 01:14 PM
TBC TBC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 56
Default

In many ways the combination of Bristol Cars and the technology available within the Frazer-Nash Group makes good business sense, as long as FNG have the resourses to develop the cars.

Just imagine an 190mph electrically powered Fighter, virtually zero emissions so no road fund to pay, vastly reduced running costs, no congestion charge to pay and maybe even a reduction in servicing due to fewer moving parts.

Now look at the potential sales oppotunity for such a vehicle in California, where Toyota sell thousands of Prius, I am sure a switched on company could sell a few dozen supercars to the stars.

Yes, yes I appreciate that some of you would shudder at the thought, but, you didn't fork out for the company and won't have to pay the development costs for future models.

There is also the possibility that an electric Blenheim replacement may even make business sense, if there is enough interest amongst the afluent in Europe, the green lobby being what it is in Germany, and none of the Major players there currently offering an alternative.

At the end of the day electric power only really makes sense for top line cars due to the unit costs, look at the Tesla, you start with a Lotus Elise, had 50% extra weight, triple the price, and all with no noticable increase in performance.

Using this mix, Bristol may even get close to the heady days at the end of the 1950's when they were making 150 cars a year.....
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22-04-11, 03:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfoz View Post
I have just remembered - Bristol used to be agent for Zagato in the 70's selling their boxy Zele electric car so there is kind of an historic connection with electric power I suppose.....
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...g/Tobyscar.jpg

Toby's electric London runabout, with my wife, Kaye, on Jermyn Street, after dinner.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22-04-11, 10:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 41
Default

What happened to Toby Silverton's bid? Did he not offer enough? Did he offer at all?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-11, 08:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Monschau/Germany, near the Belgian border
Posts: 107
Default

Yes, if we can believe Car Magazine:

Kamkorp Autokraft beat off rival bids from Toby Silverton, owner of Bristol Cars before it slid into administration, and CPP, the company that owns Spyker Cars and Land Rover racing specialist Bowler.

Bristol Cars is sold to Frazer-Nash | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

Regards,
Markus
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-11, 02:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 41
Default

Thanks Marcus
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-11, 03:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Default

I quite like this. Try as I might I cannot see a future where Bristol stayed as it was and I cannot see a credible future for the Fighter either.
Bristol have always inhabited the quirky end of the market and F-N are playing with some pretty quirky concepts.
I can't help but think there is a niche out there for this sort of thing provided they keep pricing sensible.
Finally, both brands do share a little bit of DNA so it's not an entirely contrived marriage.

I just hope they don't bank the brand and liquidate the business long term. It's not like they are a volume car manufacturer is it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-11, 04:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Monschau/Germany, near the Belgian border
Posts: 107
Default

I just wonder - why has noone here ever mentioned the Blenheim Speedster/Roadster?

Isn't it just a hilarious car?
So much classier than Wiesmann or the more modern Morgans.

Regards,
Markus
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:22 PM.


This is the live site

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2