Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Non Bristol Forums > Automobilia - other

Automobilia - other Automobilia / collectibles - non Bristol specific

New book "Almost unknown - the story of Tony Gaze"

Old 11-10-09, 12:28 PM

Default New book "Almost unknown - the story of Tony Gaze"

I have just finished reading a new book entitled „Almost unknown – The story of Tony Gaze“. Tony is an Australian who went to England just before outbreak of WWII to study at Cambridge. He joined the RAF at the outbreak of war and became a Spitfire pilot. He flew with Douglas Bader and Johnnie Johnson and by the end of the war had 12.5 combat victories credited to him. He was shot down over occupied France but escaped with the help of the Resistance.

After the war he took up motor racing in a big way driving mainly HWM's and Altas and competing against many of the famous names of the 1950’s. He is also credited with being the inspiration behind the establishment of the Goodwood racing circuit.

At the end of the 50’s he gave up racing and took up gliding at the Bristol Gliding Club near to where he was living. He quickly became very proficient at this and represented Australia in the 1960 World Championships in Germany. He also flew competitively and held several UK records in the 1960’s. I was also a young member of the same club during this time and knew him. He always impressed us other members by being completely unassuming, never bragging about his exploits and as being the perfect country gentleman. A really nice guy – as comes out in the book. He was a great lover of fast cars and I well remember the time he turned up at the club in his new Jensen FF, chassis no. 10. This mightily impressed us young guys but for Tony it was all nothing special, just a new toy.

In 1977 he moved back to Australia where he still lives.

The book, by Stewart Wilson, is mainly based on interviews with him and it is well worth reading about his remarkable life both during the war and afterwards. It is published by Chevron Publishing Group at 65AD and I bought it in Australia since it was not available in the UK at the time.

Richard
Old 07-03-10, 01:23 AM

Default Tony Gaze

"Almost Unknown" - great book.
Tony Gaze - great Aussie.

Brett

ps I particularly liked the anecdote about the reuniuon dining in night.
Old 27-10-10, 02:34 PM

Default Tony Gaze

Dear Richard
Via the internet I came across your thread about Tony Gaze's Jensen FF 119/010. I am the Jensen FF Registrar for the Jensen Owners' Club, and interviewed Tony back in the 1990s. I am wondering if you ever took any images of 010, or if you know of any in circulation within the Bristol club.
Thank you.
Ulric
Old 27-10-10, 02:57 PM

Dear Ulric,

In fact we were in contact back in March 2008 when I sent you the only picture I had of Tony's Jensen. You kindly sent me an article about him

Two weeks or so ago I was watching the Goodwood Revival on ITV4 and who should turn up but Tony Gaze. There was a short interview with him, still very recognisable I must say.

Best regards
Richard
Old 27-10-10, 04:04 PM

Default Tony Gaze

Dear Richard
I remember the photo, but had forgotten the name. I have one image of 010 which Tony kindly sent me, and your one. If anyone else has any, then I would love to hear from them.
Thank you again Richard, and apologies for the memory loss.
Ulric