Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > About this site - BristolCars.Info

About this site - BristolCars.Info Make suggestions about this site, ask 'how to' questions, give us feedback

Identifying Pictures

Old 13-09-15, 03:00 PM

Default Identifying Pictures

I have numerous photos of AB's that I would like to post under ABs on Period Racetracks. Is there an easy way to include all of the pictures in one post but identify them somehow by labeling the picture? Thought I might be able to do it in the album format but I am only able to upload the picture not identify it.
Old 14-09-15, 06:22 PM

Default Identifying Photos

As a general suggestion, not specific to this Bristol site, using embedded metadata is the best (and long-term) method to identify digital photos - and other digital documents, such as PDFs.

I've been using the ExifTool and ExifToolGUI, but many other software tools can do this. Using Picasa captions and geo-location tags actually creates two embedded metadata categories, though not quite correctly IMHO.

I've written about these techniques on several pages in the CarLibrary.org website Table of Contents.

One surprising feature of the ExifTool is the ability to "read" metadata from an entire directory/folder of photos into an Excel file (CSV), fill in missing data in Excel and then write it back to all the photos. Tricky, but it works.

Once you have photos with metadata, some collection management and/or digital library systems will use the metadata to classify the photos in standard categories. Identify once! No further data input needed!

Bob
Old 14-09-15, 06:34 PM

One surprising feature of the ExifTool is the ability to "read" metadata from an entire directory/folder of photos into an Excel file (CSV), fill in missing data in Excel and then write it back to all the photos. Tricky, but it works.

Bob - thank you for this. I concluded that I would have to do it off the forum. Looked at the site for ExifTool. Looks pretty intimidating but promising. Thank God I've got a kid that can help me figure it out.