View Single Post
Old 04-09-17, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Kingston View Post
Mike,
I don't think the small nutplates were standard, they are not on my 403 or 401 or on the spare panels I have off 401's and a 405.
Likewise the plate riveted over the worn area would have been a later addition which gives you a free hand on how you cover or reinforce this area.
On the composite panels I have none have completely parted and I have found them perfectly strong when bolted back in place, I don't think the core on mine were plywood so if that has gone bad you may have to replace the wood and use a modern glue to fix the alloy faces back on with everything clamped in place.
I used a modern bolted panel sealer when I put the floors back in my 401 as it was much easier than replacing the felt and probably more water tight as well. When the covers go back over the gearbox I will do the same plus silicone in some areas to ensure everything stays as dry as possible when the carpets go back.
Geoff.
Thanks Geoff. The small nut plates remain a mystery then. The ones that are still there on the passenger floor really look original - they are 3BA and the same as the ones on the petrol tank gauge and solenoid top cover, and the cover over the petrol tank vent pipe, and are fitted with solid rivets.

The cores on my floor panels and the toeboard are definitely 3ply. They have delaminated from the aluminium on the parts where there are no nutplate rivets to hold them together. I am using gorilla glue to fix them. The aluminium has needed repairs on the toeboard and the driver's side floor will need repair as well. Per your reply I won't have to worry too much about originality. I am a relative new boy to Bristols, and unlike my Healey 100 friends who follow detailed Concours guidelines, it seems that Bristolians don't have such an interest in keeping things as they were.

Regarding the "bolted panel sealer" was that PU (polyurethane)? This is good stuff and over-paintable, also great for sealing any pinholes in welded seams. Personally I wouldn't use silicone sealant as it's not over-paintable.

Mike