View Single Post
Old 10-01-16, 06:49 PM

Geoff,
I have the prop from a 401 but for some reason my pal thought there might be a problem with this hitting the crossmember, I could not work out why but did not have the benefit of an earlier car to compare it with or sufficient access to see what the differences were, I think the 405 prop is still with it so I suppose the answer would be to try and locate a reasonably priced overdrive box but as I am going through a mean phase at the moment having recently retired I would like to try and do this with what I have got.
Would I be right that the lower geared diff ratio would give better acceleration but lower top speed and if so what do you think this would knock off top speed, perhaps where I live in Wales the effect it would have on climbing hills would be more important than maximum speed.
I am pleased to say my current project is in some ways a reversal job as well, we are going to put a factory reconditioned engine into a 401 that lost its engine many years ago, not as a result of someone wanting to make a few extra pounds but due to one of our cold winters where frost wrecked the block and head.
Regards,
Geoff K

Last edited by Geoff Kingston; 11-01-16 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Change of word.