Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

603 Restoration begins

Old 28-04-11, 02:49 PM

Default 603 Restoration begins

For anybody that interested the beast arrived and has now been stripped of all external fittings , glass, window frames, interior, exhaust sytem, rads ,AC etc.
My whole Easter with my brothers help was spend doing this. Thank god for a proper hoist so we could do a full underside inspection and take lots of photos.
Well of course we had to cut the exhaust off as the joint to the manifold was blowing and the nuts were just imovable. we will have to take the heads off to get the manifold removed. I am sure we will find its been blowing for ages and no doubt erroded the head and manifold.
Found a fair bit of corrosion and bodged repairs as to be expected but equally no real horrors. A bit of stripping, fabrication and welding will sort this all out.

The Bad Bits
Front subframe near side, rear boot frame extension on off side, both cills, B post on off side and both bottom steel blades to take window seal are corroded.
Rear torsion bar rubber bushes , in fact most rubber suspension bushes look very poor and will need replacing.
Will need a new exhaust and manifolds.
Head lining is shot
Needs new front shocks and probably springs.
radiator is shot.
AC system is all off and I suspect will require a full replacement.
Not too much rechroming required, Front and rear window inserts and B post covers are essential the rest is pretty good.

The Good Bits
Front seats have been beautifully re-upholstered.
Rest of the leather is just very dry and need lots of hide food and re connollising.
Carpets are all there and OK for now.
Newish rear shocks have been fitted but no idea what they are and that they are not adjustable.
Looks like the brake callipers are fairly recent along with lots of new copper brake piping and flexi pipes.
Front and rear bumpers are almost new.
Old 28-04-11, 03:21 PM
Banned

Default Your new Bristol, sort of....

Congratulations on your find. Sounds like it will be a good project and a keeper when finished. Thus far, I have not been as fortunate. Living in the USA, it is very difficult to find a car, let alone one for sale at an affordable price. A few restored ones are available, but one needs to win the sweepstakes or the lottery to have the funds to purchase. Hopefull, patience will win out, and a 408 to 411 will surface. Business reversals and timely deaths will make this all possible.
Old 28-04-11, 04:45 PM

Default 603 Restoration

Ronald
I rather fancy a 407 with a latter chassis and engine etc. No doubt its been done.
Good luck finding one
Regards
Will
Old 29-04-11, 04:13 PM
Banned

Default The tear down for a good look-see

I shuddered when I saw some of the undersides because it so reminded me of the on Aston DB6 I bought some years back. The aluminum body looked so good, and the paint buffed out quite well. It had sat outdoors for years when the fellow decided to sell it. He had imported the car, and drove it that summer. Having no knowledge of the cold-start, cable operation of the SU enrichment linkage (missing), he was disappointed once the weather turned cold and it would not start. He parked it next to a corn crib, outside, and left it until I arrived. Weeks passed and with each passing week, the price dropped by a thousand dollars until it was irreistable. I just could not pass it up for $3,000 and had it hauled home. This was in the early 80's. It was a 1967 model. Underneath that beautiful exterior was mostly rust. All those steel reinforcements were about gone. Needless to say, I was not going to keep the car, and sold it to a high-end foreign car dealer who claimed he had a ready buyer. He more than doubled my investment upon buying my prize.
The undersides of the Bristol look so similar, what with the hand-built panels; not anything like the mass produced cars. Two more Astons; a DB5 and still another 6, and I had had my fill. I now fully understand what a restoration must cost if one is not handy and has to hire the work out. I still want one! A Bristol, that is.
Old 29-04-11, 04:58 PM

Default 603 Restoration

Ronald
Between my Brother and I we have has something like 90 cars and have done big resorations on maybe 20 of them so nothing much frightens us.

The attached are another car we are doing at the moment. Its a 1965 Gilbern GT and is about to go to get here roll cage as she is being buildt to the 65 homologation and getting FIA papers so I can race her.

Like i said nothing scares us.

Gilbern 26.4.11.JPG

Gilbern 26.4.11 (8).JPG

Gilbern 26.4.11 (15).JPG

Gilbern 27.4.11.jpg
Old 29-04-11, 05:06 PM
Banned

Default Bristols, restorations and finding a good shop

That is just great, and I am sure you folks could handle just about anything. My experience here has not been good, worse, very disappointing. My last effort was earlier this year, and these people convinced me they could do what I needed done. Six weeks later and twice the estimate, I bought my car back and promptly planned on selling it. It was an E-type that I had owned for about ten years, and I had planned on keeping the car and using it as an occasional driver.
The car sold rather quickly on the JagLovers site, and I spent about two days trying to talk the chap out of buying it. He claimed he was a welder and told me what a horrible job was done on the panels and rust they 'fixed'. Rather, they fixed me. Anyway, and thankfully, I did not lose a great deal in the sale.
Old 29-04-11, 05:38 PM

Default Restoration

Ronald
You should have seen my V12 E Type FHC when I bought her....not pretty at all.
Two year on and of restoration and I sold her for a hansome profit. She now resides in Cyprus.

.E Type 16.8.10 (4).jpg

E type october 07 001.jpg

E type october 07 002.jpg
Old 29-04-11, 06:55 PM
Banned

Default Bristols, restorations and all the rest

That looks to be a top notch job. I think you folks are beyond talented, perhaps gifted, and with a world of patience to boot. Wish you were close. I would mortgage my house to have you folks work on my stuff.
Old 30-04-11, 08:05 AM

Default 603 Restoration

All thats needed really is a little knowledge, some skills and patience...and only do something once so do your research first.