Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

411 S3 Headlamps

Old 17-03-10, 11:33 PM

Default 411 S3 Headlamps

Please can someone let me know what size the outside headlamps are on a 411 S3 and even better what other cars use the same so I can search for the lamp and suround on ebay.

Thanks Greg

Last edited by GREG; 17-03-10 at 11:36 PM. Reason: wrong title -- oops
Old 18-03-10, 09:35 AM

All four lamps on an S3 are 7-inch, and are easy to find. Holdens do a large range (Holden | Electrical | Lighting | Light Units - 7" products), as do others. (Cibié are much cheaper from here for example: Cibie Light Unit - 7" Round - Main/Dip without sidelights - Cibie H180 Light Units - UNBEATABLE PRICES! - larkspeed.com).

I'm told that the Cibié ones are better quality than some of the cheaper ones, with better lenses that give much sharper cutoff and better beam definition. I've just ordered a set of 5.75" Cibiés for the inner pair on my 410 to replace the sealed beams, so I shall report back once they're fitted.
Old 18-03-10, 12:43 PM

Default 411 S3 Headlamps

From the originals, I have upgraded to Narva for the mains (GE aircraft landing lights for the inner spots but these are smaller in the 410 and not applicable to the 411s).
John Keighley
Old 18-03-10, 08:33 PM

Default Lights for 411 s3 or later

Anyone know a source or model of 7" long range driving light units to suit the inner pair of a late 411 (to be used with a dipping outer pair)?

Chris Browne
Old 05-05-10, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam410 View Post
All four lamps on an S3 are 7-inch, and are easy to find. Holdens do a large range (Holden | Electrical | Lighting | Light Units - 7" products), as do others. (Cibié are much cheaper from here for example: Cibie Light Unit - 7" Round - Main/Dip without sidelights - Cibie H180 Light Units - UNBEATABLE PRICES! - larkspeed.com).

I'm told that the Cibié ones are better quality than some of the cheaper ones, with better lenses that give much sharper cutoff and better beam definition. I've just ordered a set of 5.75" Cibiés for the inner pair on my 410 to replace the sealed beams, so I shall report back once they're fitted.
Just to update (and I realise that I am here talking about 5.75" units for 408 – 411s2 not 7" units for 411s3 – 603), the Cibié lamps I have now fitted as the inner pair on my 410 are excellent. Good light (I'm using some Philips H4 bulbs) and excellent definition. I have not had any flashing or abuse from other road users, which was a common occurrence with the previous sealed beam units, even though they were correctly aimed according to the MoT station's measuring device. (The car is set up with all four lamps as both full / dip beam, through relays.)