Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Newbie - Considering fulfilling a long ambition

Old 29-03-10, 11:57 AM

Default Newbie - Considering fulfilling a long ambition

Not being a frequent contributor to this forum I feel I can add some value
now having just spent weeks trying to get insurance for my 411 s6 which has
had a complete restoration. Having been turned down by footman james (after
days of answering their detailed questions) I finally found
www.norton-ib.co.uk to be the lowest cost and best service. Naturally, you
usually get what you pay for - but at the low price I am paying I almost
thought they had made a mistake.

John
Old 29-03-10, 04:10 PM

Default Newbie - Considering fulfilling a long am...

Help-Hire was the same company that Footman James tried to foist me onto,
and the hire people also specified the crash repairers which I was allowed
to use, both of course I did not.

The best advice before you renew your policy is to ask your insurer if they
operate such a scheme and if they do go elsewhere, just hope this will not
spread like a cancer in which case the motoring bodies need to become
involved for in the end the hirers will make large amounts of money and the
cost of insurance will increase for everyone.
My regards,
Bellerophon
Old 29-03-10, 08:00 PM

Oh dear. Helphire. I've had no pleasure in dealing with them recently, after claiming from Footman James to recover my excess after a crash that was not my fault. They sent me a form to fill out - after a year of correspondence, ignored my complaint letters to them (until I sent a private and confidential letter to the MD, and even that only solicited a sorry but so what reply), and even asked me.to contact the Polish driver I was claiming against because they couldn't understand his insurance. I will going elsewhere.for my insurance next time.

Regards

Quentin Brooks
Old 04-04-10, 12:42 PM

Thanks everyone for all the information. I have started working down the list of contacts and these are some of the results.

Firstly, we tried the current insurers of our Morgan's - ClassicLine operated by Boncaster. They said the 3S was not 'old enough to qualify', strange (and disappointing) as the Morgan Aero's are 2008 and 2010 and the insurance cost at an agreed value of £130k each is £900 p.a.

Next tried Norton, they said they do not insure cars with a value over £60k. We have had this response from them before, as they operate the Porsche Club insurance and would not insure our then new 911!

In view of the unfavourable comments about Footman James/AON, I have not been in touch with them; as yet.

A-Plan quoted £1,932 p.a., £1,500 excess and Tracker to be fitted, this is the rate for March which may go up in April. I then spoke to Hiscox and they said we should contact Finch Group Brokers, in Reading, being our nearest brokers. They quoted £1,857 p.a., with Tracker and £1,000 excess - reduced to £1,406 if we put all our vehicles with them, but how much will they charge for the Mog's?

We are still awaiting quotes from Aviva (former Norwich Union) our previous car's insurers, who have changed their mind and said that they will now quote us. And Equity Direct - the owners of Boncaster, who are also willing to quote.

Lastly, a kind owner of a Fighter has offered to get us a quote if we include our house insurance, etc. I must say I am surprised that it is so difficult to get a good quote for a Bristol, especially as we have not experienced this problem before with the cars that we have owned and we have a clean driving record.

We will keep you advised of progress and also of the company that we finally choose for our insurance.

Best
Brian
Old 04-04-10, 01:03 PM

Brian, you have not tried the best yet! Have a look on the web at Hagerty
Classic Car Insurance who are based at Silverstone and only insure Classic
cars including the most exotic makes.

One of the best things is that if you have an accident they let you chose
who you want to repair your car, that would be Bristol Cars if you so
desire.
Let us know how you get on.

My regards,
Bellerophon
Old 04-04-10, 02:19 PM

Many thanks Bellerophon, I have filled in the form on their site asking for a quote. I'll let you know how we get on.

Best regards
Brian
Old 11-04-10, 01:50 PM

Well finally an end to my insurance search. Hagerty gave a good quote at GBP1,133.37, but have a strict limit on mileage of 3,000 miles which they would not negotiate upwards. As we will do probably 8/10,000 miles p.a. in the car this obviously did not work for us.

Finally settled with Chubb, GBP1,625.00 fully-comp, any driver, agreed value, specified repairer, Tracker required. Job done.

Thanks to all who helped with advice, etc. Now pick the car up on the 20th April 2010.

Best

Brian
Old 11-04-10, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
...Finally settled with Chubb, GBP1,625.00 fully-comp, any driver, agreed value, specified repairer, Tracker required. Job done.

Thanks to all who helped with advice, etc. Now pick the car up on the 20th April 2010.

Best

Brian
"Any Driver..." I like that. When did you say it would be convenient for me to visit? At this point, I can be there mid-May, September and early Decenber?
The first is firm; I will actually be at Kensington High Street on 14 May.

I've never found a way to get UK coverage if I brought my car back over...Without a UK driving license, I can't get any insurance there, and as a non-Brit, I'm not elegible for the license. My US coverage isn't even good in Canada or Mexico, I"m told, not that I'm planning to go in either direction.

My '79 603 can only be insured for what I paid Bristol Cars for it, US$39,300; the value of all upgrades is excluded. I have $500M liability, the same for Uninsured Motorist each person/each occurence; $10M personal unjury; and $500 deductible for damage I cause. This costs me US$1006 (L650?)annually currently. No driver restrictions. What's a tracker?

Good work, Brian.

Last edited by browning l; 11-04-10 at 05:23 PM.
Old 18-04-10, 07:38 PM

Well we were due to fly back to the UK tomorrow en famille, but we got an email yesterday from Virgin Atlantic that the flight is cancelled. We have completely given up on our trip until the situation normalises, but we still need to get our daughter and granddaughters back as one starts back at school on the 20th April and the other on the 21st!

Looks like we won't meet up this time Lou! The actual policy has been sent to our UK address so once I read it I will confirm that it really is any driver and not just "any UK driver". It is an agreed value policy and in this case they are willing to accept Bristol's own invoice. Most insurance company's in the UK who do agreed value policies will accept a valuation, I have my AeroMax insured on this basis.

Tracker is a GPS-based vehicle recovery system, I have had this one fitted, but there are other makes: TRACKER - Stolen Vehicle Recovery Products

Best

Brian
Old 19-04-10, 12:11 AM

It's too bad about the messed up travel. Kaye just came home from Barbados, but of course there are lots of folks down there in your situation, wanting to get home to the UK and other parts of Europe.

Good luck in your situation. We are crossing our fingers for our 12th May departure.

I thought that might be what a tracker is.
Old 27-04-10, 08:57 AM

Luckily, we were able to get our daughter and grandkids on the first flight out, but I have now re-scheduled my UK trip to the 13th May and now finally pick the Blenheim up on the 14th May 2010. It has been a long wait and I'm sure the car will be worth it!

On insurance, I have checked with the broker about the 'any driver' cover and he says "it would indeed cover an American to drive, providing he was driving within the terms of the short term exemption foreign drivers get when visiting the UK. (I think they get 12 months before having to get a UK licence.)".

If you, or anyone else, needs the contact details for the broker please PM me (you also have my email Lou) and I'll let you have his coordinates.

I hope that your trip is still on schedule, maybe we'll meet in Kensington.

Brian
Old 27-04-10, 10:35 PM

Although not yet confirmed, my plans are still to be at KHS the morning of the 14th May.
Failing an earlier email confirmation, I will phone next week.