Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

408 (and similar) instrument lights question

Old 05-02-24, 02:10 PM

Default 408 (and similar) instrument lights question

I am trying to brighten up the instrument lighting with LED bulbs. The back of the instrument panel is a mass of wiring!!!! I found the bulbs for the speedometer and tachometer but the small gauges seem to have no bulb fitting of their own.

Am I right in seeing that they are lit by shared bulbs i.e. one per side of the panel lighting two minor instruments via small opening in the side of their casings? e.g The Ammeter and Oil Pressure gauge share a bulb? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

David
Old 07-02-24, 09:03 AM

You are right, the speedo and tachometer have bulbs of their own (perhaps also the clock, I forget) but the little gauges are lit by bulbs that are mounted beside them and the light leaks in via slots in the instrument panel to the little slots on the side. A little white or silver paint applied to the slots in the instrument panel might help it on its way

Led bulbs definitely improve things. I used https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php

Led bulbs normally require a different rheostat as they draw so little current, but I left the old green incandescent bulbs that light the centre dashboard controls and switches in situ and found that the existing dimmer rheostat worked fine as they continue to draw sufficient current to drag the voltage down, dimming the LEDs at the same time.

While you’re at it make sure that the ammeter connections are tight, copper creeps over time and they may do with tightening up.

LEDs in interior lights make a world of difference.

Go for it
Old 07-02-24, 12:04 PM

Thank you, Roger.

David