Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Continental driving lighting requirements

Old 17-09-23, 04:45 PM

Default Continental driving lighting requirements

Hi All
I an soon off to Spain. What is the correct position please to mask the headlamps on my 410?. Do I just need to mask the outer headlamps and what portion of the lens do I mask eg 3o clock to 6 oclock, 8 oclock to 12 oclock?
Thanks
Andrew
Old 18-09-23, 06:45 AM

Mask the triangular lower part of the outer headlights on the drivers side of the car. Roughly 7 o’clock to 9 o’clock. This area throws your dipped beam across towards the verge in the uk and into the face of oncoming traffic on the continent. A little experimentation with the dipped beams on in your garage will soon make it clear. Black electricians tape will suffice, applied whilst you are waiting for the ferry?, but you might have to replace it at intervals

You will lose a surprising amount of visibility on dipped beams at night, it will now be quite difficult to see either verge - I’d advise you to avoid driving at night if you can.

Be aware that the Spanish have a rule that you must have your lights on BEFORE you enter ANY tunnel. Also read up their rules about high viz jackets, warning triangles, first aid kits, registration documents, etc
Old 18-09-23, 08:49 AM

Default Continental Driving

Thanks for this info Roger
I shall certainly try and avoid driving at night!
Old 19-09-23, 06:22 AM

Hi Andrew,

Hope you have a good and a very enjoyable journey.

I took my 410 over there in March (via France) this year but unfortunately the old girl didn’t make it back under her own steam but that’s another very long winded story!!!

What Roger said is correct but I would like to add the following:-
* For simplicity, go to Halfords or Amazon and purchase some headlamp converters; they cost less than £10.00 and they are the right shape and size. They also have precise fitting instructions and they stick to the headlights.
* I also recommend an amber flashing light you can place on the roof in the event of a breakdown, preferably with its own rechargeable battery, invaluable if you do break down, because the hazard warning lights on a 410 are rubbish compared to modern cars, particularly on a wet night.
* Make sure you have 1st class breakdown insurance which includes repatriation back to the UK. My cover was about £50 or £60 but saved me well over £3k.
* I suggest you check on the Spanish requirements for the need to have a valid roadworthy certificate for your car. I took my UK MOT Certificate with me. You will also need to have the vehicle registration documents and insurance certificate with you.
* One last point, make sure you have adequate mileage allowance on your classic car insurance. Some policies limit the mileage to a couple of thousand miles per year.
Brian
Old 19-09-23, 09:58 PM

Yes, Halfords headlight converters do stick extremely well, but they are a bit bigger than they need to be leaving even less light on the road. And, in my experience, they stick rather too well leaving one with a bit of a problem if facing a long drive home back in the uk if your ferry arrives in the evening. You can get the solid bit off with a bit of a struggle but you are still left with the sticky stuff which upsets the dipped beam no end. You takes your choices ……

Yes indeed, you’ll need original insurance and registration certificates and taking an MOT certificate is also a good plan. If you do get stopped the more paper the better. You don’t have to transgress to be stopped, mere interest in the car or why you’re driving about looking lost is quite enough.

Also, I forgot to mention, always take a set of spare bulbs which are very frequently required on the continent. I doubt anybody would ever actually check that they are the right bulbs but still.

Don’t let all this alarm you, I found the Spanish charming, if rather bound by beurocracy
Old 20-09-23, 07:02 AM

Default Continental Driving

Thank you Roger
Your help as always appreciated