Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

407 Speedometer needed

Old 25-08-20, 03:52 PM

Default 407 Speedometer needed

Having found the problem with my speedo I posted it, with proof of posting to Speedograph Richfield who have done good work for me before. 1st class post and it has gone missing. Has anybody out there in the ether a Speedo to fit a 407.
The Bristol part number is or was 907-1-63072 and the Smiths number SN.6153/74 incorporating Ignition and headlight warning lights.
If you have one and are able to sell it to me, please let me know price and postage.
Nick Challacombe, Quince House, East Barton, Bury St. Edmunds IP31 2QY
01284 788186
Old 25-08-20, 09:54 PM

Sad to hear your speedometer has gone astray, can only hope it turns up again. I had a similar issue. When I bought my 412 all of the instruments were missing, along with the switches. The woodwork had been removed by the previous owner for restoration and I suspect they are still somewhere in the sadly deceased’s effects.

It took me time to get instruments together, I still don’t have the switches. They were accrued via eBay and Facebook Marketplace. However the speedometer was problematic. I’d considered using a similar Jaguar one, with the intention of changing the crystals which are still available. From memory it’s the 940 turns per mile (412) that matter. In the end I found a 411 one on eBay for a great price. Wish you luck, I’m positive you’ll find one, it’ll just take time.
Old 26-08-20, 01:49 PM

Default 407 Speedometer

Speedograph Richfield found my Speedo today! It is winging its way back to me now. Thank you for trying to help.
Nick