Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

411 windscreen rubbers and chrome trim

Old 29-11-14, 01:06 PM

Default 411 windscreen rubbers and chrome trim

Does anyone know where one can get windscreen rubbers and chrome trim for a 411?

My screen rubbers seem to have shrunk, leaving a gap in the middle at the bottom of both front and rear screen and the chrome trim is a bit corroded.

Does anyone use any sort of coating to protect the chrome trim? Mine are slowly degrading, probably due to salty air.
Old 29-11-14, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin H View Post
Does anyone know where one can get windscreen rubbers and chrome trim for a 411?

My screen rubbers seem to have shrunk, leaving a gap in the middle at the bottom of both front and rear screen and the chrome trim is a bit corroded.

Does anyone use any sort of coating to protect the chrome trim? Mine are slowly degrading, probably due to salty air.
I suggest you contact John Lawley the BODA Spares rep. he has a source of the rubbers in the UK. Not so sure about the chrome however

Mike
Old 30-11-14, 01:21 PM

Default Rubbers, Bristol 411 for the use of!

I concur with Mike, failing all else contact John Lawley on email.
lawleyjr@yahoo.co.uk
As for chrome insert I would be very pleased if anybody knows a source, I have been asking on and off for years.
Nick
Old 02-12-14, 03:34 PM

Bristol Cars had the rubber in stock recently but I did not enquire about the trim as I did not need that only the screen rubber itself.
It comes in one length cut to fit screen and car so even with the new rubber there will still be a join.
If the gap is the only problem with the screen rubbers why not try one of the black silicone screen sealers to fill them.
On badly tarnished trim I have used Autosol applied carefully with 00 grade wire wool with some good results and then finish off with a good paintwork rather than chrome polish.
Old 04-12-14, 10:35 AM

Geoff,

As it happens at the weekend I did fill the gaps in the windscreen rubber with neutral cure black silicone sealant. I don't know what I was thinking, proposing to replace the windscreen rubbers because of a 5mm gap.

I also set about cleaning the chrome trip, with Autolsol! Probably about 15 years old but it still does the job (I didn't use wire wool though). The trim comes up quite well, although on close inspection there is some pitting, but probably no more than any other old car I have owned.

Maybe we should get some new chrome trim made in China ...

Kevin