Thread: Carburation
View Single Post
Old 27-10-13, 10:40 PM

Replaced the small filter before the pump and fitted a large VW filter in the boot. Put in some new petrol and a bottle of Forte petrol treatment

After a false start I took the plunge and drove the car home. Took about three hours to cover 45 miles. The car broke down thirteen times! Twelve for fuel blockages and finally an electrical problem. On the tenth breakdown (Boxhill dual carriageway) I put the left side of the car onto the verge. At that angle the petrol washed down to the side of the tank leaving the pick up pipe high and dry. I decided to push the car back onto the carriageway and about 100 yards down the road to a side road & safety where I found the pipe was submersed again so I carried on to the roundabout and filled up, only to breakdown again just out of the petrol station!

I'm getting quite a taste for petrol! Blowing seems to clear the pipe better than sucking and avoids the inevitable mouthful. However, it does mean that the sludge has still to be sucked up at some point rather than be trapped in the fuel filter.

Took the car back on Saturday and it only failed three times. So I feel that a lot of progress has been made. Think I will replace the filters when I next go down to see the car.

When it has enough fuel it goes well except for a lot of explosions in the exhaust at small throttle openings. Tickover is 1,000 rising to 1,500 rpm when hot.