Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Bristol and BMW 328 engines

Old 29-01-11, 09:35 AM
markn

Default Bristol and BMW 328 engines

Hi All, just wanting to know if anyone out there would have any info on this matter. I am wanting to know if the 6 cylinder BMW 328 engine and its sister the 6 cylinder Bristol engine are identical. I am mainly wanting to know if the measurement (cm or inches) from the very bottom of the sump to the very top of the carburetor is the same on both engines?
Cheers Mark
Old 31-01-11, 06:35 PM

They are not totally identical, but with some small amount of work you can fit a Bristol head to a BMW block.

I suspect the measurement you have asked for will be within about an inch, but note that BMWs tend to have steel sumps whereas Bristol engines have alloy sumps, and the depth of the sump may be different. The pre-war Solex carbs I think are slightly shorter than the post war ones used by Bristols. There are also differences in the air filters fitted on top of the carbs....

Hope this helps.
Andrew B.
Old 31-01-11, 09:57 PM
markn

Much appreciated Andrew, that is very interesting! I really suspected that the pre-war carburetor was shorter, but I wonder by how much.
Sincerely Mark