Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

404 chassis dimensions

Old 06-09-10, 02:50 PM

Default 404 chassis dimensions

Hi

Right now I'm preparing my trip to UK for the Beaulieu Autojumble, Goodwood Revival and of course the Bristol 100 years celebration. I am leaving this Friday from Sweden to take the Esbjerg- Harwich ferry. I'm driving my Arnolt so I hope for good weather as I still only use the racing screen.

Just to make a long story very short;

I have been restoring my Arnolt Coupe 3137 since 2007 and I have removed all the panels (I even have had the roof removed) to have them straightened and repaired. The body was not very rusty apart from the boot floor and the lower parts of the doors and wheel arches. The car lived all its life in Spain (it was sold new in Madrid in 1956) and for the last 30 years in Majorca where I found it, still with its third owner.

I'm now in the process of putting the panels back (they are all welded together) but I have found out that the chassis is bent somewhere. Someone in Spain had put the car back together wrongly after it rolled at speed in 1956 when its first owner was shot through the windscreen by three bullets from a semi automatic rifle.

Unfortunately they did not send the car back to Turin but they used new Bertone parts but obviously didn't bother about the chassis.

Does anyone know about a drawing available somewhere with all the chassis dimensions for the 404 chassis?

Very best regards

Kenneth
Old 06-09-10, 05:49 PM

It sounds like the guy in Spain was an excellent shot.! I was wondering if you have his details as I missed when I tried the same on my ex wife ?

I think Mitchell Motors will probably be able to help with the 404 chassis measurements.

Greg