Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Chrome door pull rings

Old 15-03-22, 06:37 PM

Default Chrome door pull rings

I think I saw a recent note in one of the newsletters that some new door pull rings had been made. Please can someone point me in the right direction?
I am missing a complete door pull so would be pleased to hear from anyone with a spare one in whatever condition.
Old 15-03-22, 07:14 PM

David,
New door pull rings are available from one to one trimers according to the website.
Geoff.

https://www.one-to-onetrimmers.co.uk...ional-services
Old 15-03-22, 07:38 PM

Default Door pull

Pegasus had a batch made so contact Bill Lawson and he will know if they have any left

Mike
Old 15-03-22, 08:01 PM

Thank you, gents. Much appreciated. Now to find the chain and fittings...
Old 16-03-22, 01:42 PM

Making progress. Bill Lawson has the chrome rings. I re-discovered John Lawley's excellent article on refurbishing interior door pulls in the Autumn 2021 Bodacious. I thought I was going to have to fashion a brass stirrup to connect the chain to the ring but stripping back the handle from my 403 reveals the chain is mirror chain and the stirrup is made from a spare link.
I have now ordered:
Chain - search "19mm mirror chain" on Ebay
Tubing - search "food grade silicone tubing" on Ebay and choose 8mm i/d 12mm o/d
Old 21-03-22, 06:07 PM

Latest update. The new mirror chain arrived and wasn't up to the job. 0.5mm thick rather than original 1mm.

I decided to use original mirror chain links for the ends and 2mm stainless chain for the main part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3409.JPG (93.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3410.JPG (103.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 21-03-22, 06:15 PM

Note steel rings have ends filed to a long point so that they lie flat when squeezed together.

It looks as though the leather is fitted, the steel rings squeezed on and then the leather hand stitched with the thread passing through the rubber tube.

I had some door pulls refurbished years ago. The upholsterer machine stitched down both edges and picked up the stitches by hand to pull the sides together. I don't think this would have lasted and there is a good chance the stitching line would work its way round so that it became visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3411.jpg (40.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3414.JPG (102.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 21-10-23, 10:19 AM

My 403 is off to the trimmers, week after next. I'm in the process of putting together the various bits and pieces they will need. Amongst the bits is a pair of 400 door pulls, which are longer than the 401/403 ones but otherwise the same construction. My 403 came with ordinary metal door pulls. My plan is to rebuild the 400 pulls to 403 dimensions and issue them to the trimmers for putting in the leather. David C, do you have any follow up information to add to your really useful forum thread? Did all the dimensions work out? How did you work the leather stitching? I will also re-read John Lawley's BODA magazine article.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 21-10-23, 12:06 PM

Dimensions were spot on. You can test the fit before the leather is sewn up.

I had a trimmer redo the door pulls on my 410. He machine stitched down both sides of the leather and then hand stitched the sides together. This wasn't very smart as the leather sleeve can then rotate around the rubber and expose the stitching.

If you inspect the original rubber tube you will see that some of the stitches passed through. I found a much better trimmer who did a really nice job.

Your next challenge is to get suitable cord and find someone to do the Turk's head knots. We thought we had found something suitable but it turned out to be too heavy. My mother in law came to the rescue and wove some finer thread from silk which I now need to use to replace the first attempt.

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4525.jpg
Old 01-11-23, 10:24 AM

There is a good YouTube video explaining the Turk's head knot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_NlKg4rsQ
Old 05-03-24, 11:07 PM

Just been to visit the 403 at the trimmers. Attached are photos of the rebuilt door pulls. Thanks to the guys on this forum thread. As a result I was able to explain exactly what I wanted. The leather wraps may one day get changed out for turks head knots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20240216-WA0001.jpg (223.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240216-WA0010.jpg (228.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-03-24, 02:02 AM

Default Turks Head Finish to Door Pulls

I have found that the best material to use for the turks-head finish to each end of the Bristol door pull is venetian blind cord. It can be a pinkish-brown colour which looks ok when finished with the turks-cap. It is also very nicely woven cord with a smooth finish.