Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

401 restoration - parts and advice sought

Old 10-03-22, 07:08 PM

Default 401 restoration - parts and advice sought

I am just starting work on my 1950 401, and could do with some pointers. Firstly I am short of some parts:
passenger window frame and glass
bonnet trims
interior door furniture
rear view mirror
I would be most appreciative if anyone could point me in the direction of these items, or tell me who can make them..
I am currently having some fun taking the doors off. Seized nuts, awkward angle of attack. Any tips on that, or on dash/fascia removal - to enable rust treatment and painting etc - quite a fiddle, even to take the control knobs off in order to remove the wood for cleaning.

Finally, a chap has offered my soda-blasting to clean away rust from the chassis and frame, and old paint and filler from the aluminium. Has anyone else been down that route? There are a few areas of structural corrosion, but most of the rust seems cosmetic (I hope!).

The car is in 'barn find' condition - no paint, no engine, been off the road for years and years I would guess.

Inside the roof is written 'Azure Blue' which must have been the original colour.

All great fun, but your expertise and advice would be appreciated!
Old 13-03-22, 01:45 PM

I should have window winder and door handle somewhere. Possibly glass and channel. Will have a look for you.