Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

401/3 petrol tanks

Old 29-06-20, 05:03 PM

Default 401/3 petrol tanks

I am investigating having a new tank made of aluminium. Is anybody else interested as the price will go down the more we buy?
Old 29-06-20, 08:45 PM

I had a stainless steel tank made some years ago. Fitted perfectly. My guess is that it would cost at least £1,000 now.

Chose stainless as my old tank was completely peppered with corrosion and with the hydroscopic action of methanol felt that alluminium wouldn't last
Old 30-06-20, 06:55 AM

Ethanol seems to be the problem, particularly if water gets in. There are treatments to prevent aluminium corrosion which we may have to use anyway to protect carburettors etc. I like the idea of stainless except for the weight.
Old 30-06-20, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony View Post
Ethanol seems to be the problem, particularly if water gets in. There are treatments to prevent aluminium corrosion which we may have to use anyway to protect carburettors etc. I like the idea of stainless except for the weight.
It wasn't particularly heavy even though he put a couple of baffles inside. I easily fitted it myself without assistance. He even allowed for the expansion of the tank when full of petrol.

The only change I would have made would have been to put the filler at the top of the tank rather than the bottom. I put a one way valve in the (massive) breather pipe to stop fuel spewing out of it when filled up but it would only allow me to put a third of a tank in (valve since removed).