Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

403 floor panel info request

Old 29-08-17, 09:09 AM

Default 403 floor panel info request

Hello

I've attached three photos showing both footwell floor panels from my 403, cleaned up, but prior to restoration and painting. I wonder if someone can tell me:-

1. What are the two smaller nutplates at the front of each panel for? On mine, the ones on the passenger side are still there, on the driver's side they are missing but the holes for them are there.

2. You see the worn hole in the driver's side panel? There are the remains of four rivets round it - looks as if maybe there used to be a reinforcing plate riveted in (?) - I guess where driver's clutch or brake heel would have scraped. Any info on what form this plate took, what it was made of etc, appreciated.

3. As you know, the panels are made up of very thin aluminium sheets either side of a piece of three ply plywood. Any previous experience of best methods of repair? I am trying to repair rather than replace where possible.

4. Floor panels general - all sealing as found was of felt. I'm in two minds about whether to replace with new felt or using a modern sealing compound. Thoughts and experience?

Thanks

Mike Brooks
403/1402
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170828_173227.jpg (78.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20170828_173256.jpg (80.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20170828_173320.jpg (74.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-09-17, 03:11 PM

Mike,
I don't think the small nutplates were standard, they are not on my 403 or 401 or on the spare panels I have off 401's and a 405.
Likewise the plate riveted over the worn area would have been a later addition which gives you a free hand on how you cover or reinforce this area.
On the composite panels I have none have completely parted and I have found them perfectly strong when bolted back in place, I don't think the core on mine were plywood so if that has gone bad you may have to replace the wood and use a modern glue to fix the alloy faces back on with everything clamped in place.
I used a modern bolted panel sealer when I put the floors back in my 401 as it was much easier than replacing the felt and probably more water tight as well. When the covers go back over the gearbox I will do the same plus silicone in some areas to ensure everything stays as dry as possible when the carpets go back.
Geoff.
Old 04-09-17, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Kingston View Post
Mike,
I don't think the small nutplates were standard, they are not on my 403 or 401 or on the spare panels I have off 401's and a 405.
Likewise the plate riveted over the worn area would have been a later addition which gives you a free hand on how you cover or reinforce this area.
On the composite panels I have none have completely parted and I have found them perfectly strong when bolted back in place, I don't think the core on mine were plywood so if that has gone bad you may have to replace the wood and use a modern glue to fix the alloy faces back on with everything clamped in place.
I used a modern bolted panel sealer when I put the floors back in my 401 as it was much easier than replacing the felt and probably more water tight as well. When the covers go back over the gearbox I will do the same plus silicone in some areas to ensure everything stays as dry as possible when the carpets go back.
Geoff.
Thanks Geoff. The small nut plates remain a mystery then. The ones that are still there on the passenger floor really look original - they are 3BA and the same as the ones on the petrol tank gauge and solenoid top cover, and the cover over the petrol tank vent pipe, and are fitted with solid rivets.

The cores on my floor panels and the toeboard are definitely 3ply. They have delaminated from the aluminium on the parts where there are no nutplate rivets to hold them together. I am using gorilla glue to fix them. The aluminium has needed repairs on the toeboard and the driver's side floor will need repair as well. Per your reply I won't have to worry too much about originality. I am a relative new boy to Bristols, and unlike my Healey 100 friends who follow detailed Concours guidelines, it seems that Bristolians don't have such an interest in keeping things as they were.

Regarding the "bolted panel sealer" was that PU (polyurethane)? This is good stuff and over-paintable, also great for sealing any pinholes in welded seams. Personally I wouldn't use silicone sealant as it's not over-paintable.

Mike
Old 07-09-17, 09:42 PM

Mike
Good point about the silicone,I used some 3M sealers that I had for a while, one, putty like strips the other double sided tape, I also sometimes use brushable seam sealer which when dry can be over painted as well.
My local car repairer gave be a small role of the putty type of sealer which he said was ideal for fitting the gearbox covers back so everything has been carefully cleaned and painted (POR15) to make sure we get a good bond, once these panels and a few round the engine and front wing are back on it will be time for the wax.
Geoff
Old 10-09-17, 07:14 PM

There's no such fasteners on my floor panels either, perhaps they were mountings for a centre console.
A good alternative to felt is the closed cell foam sheet, like mouse mat material, I've picked up 3/4'' rolls of the stuff, self adhesive backed, from Lidl.