Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

B posts on 403

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg Mead

Old 09-08-16, 08:07 PM

Question B posts on 403

My 403 was "restored" sometime in the 70's. The bottom of the B posts (ie the steel uprights at the rear of each door, had the (corroded) aluminium of the body skin covered over with a piece of galvanised sheet steel for about the bottom 6 inches. This had been rivetted to what was left of the aluminium and then filled over with body filler. I have pulled all this off and am in process of welding new steel in behind the bodywork. There is enough steel left for me to see the shape of everything so the actual B posts will be accurately repaired. Then I will be cutting new aluminium sheet pieces which I will braze onto the (cut back) bodywork. Since the bottoms of the aluminium bodywork were completely corroded, my question is: was the aluminium originally crimped over the bottom of the B post, or was it rivetted to it? I can see it was crimped over the front edge of the B post but cannot tell how it was fixed at the bottom.
Old 09-08-16, 11:01 PM

Default B Post on 403

I have taken a 403 to the point were most alloy panels were removed and steel repaired. Can't quite place what you are describing. A picture would help. Where are you.
Greg Mead
mikebro likes this.
Old 10-08-16, 03:31 PM

Question

Here are some photos. All pictures are of the RHS of the car - ie back of car to the left. The rear of the door opening is on the right with the door removed. the rear right wheel arch would be off the picture to the left. The photos ending 91 and 31 are as found, having removed the bodged galvanised plate that had been riveted over the aluminium. 33 is after I have cut away the corroded aluminium, exposed the bottom of the B post and cut away the corroded steel from it. On 31 and 33 you can see what's left of the bottom of the aluminium as it curves under the bottom of the steel on the B post. My question concerns how the aluminium is fixed underneath - crimped over or riveted through?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1469887979291.jpg (21.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 1469888112731.jpg (27.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1469894023133.jpg (30.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 14-08-16, 11:53 AM

While doing some work on my 401 yesterday we checked this area and although the aluminium is a bit corroded indications are this area was riveted.
Though the car had been repainted several times there was no indication of any structural work having been done on it previously and it had been off the since the early 70's.
Also checked a spares car again off the road since the late 60's, although rough in that area indications are again that rivets were used rather than crimping.
Old 15-08-16, 11:08 AM

Default 401 B Pillar Repairs

This was worked on a few years ago and I am a bit vague on exactly what repairs were carried out. The car has now been completely resprayed but there is certainly evidence of rivets to hold the bottom of the alloy rear guard. The heads still remain proud of the new paint. Looks lke you need to remanufacture the out-rigger also. Just covered this up with the alloy cover plate a few weeks ago. Can still photograph from underneath. Send a few photos tomorrow.

Greg Mead
Old 15-08-16, 09:07 PM

Look fwd to your pictures. Here's a (upside down for some reason) photo of mine after doing some fabrication and welding yesterday. Still much to do. Next I have to recreate the bottom of the part that carries the rear seal on the door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160814_183858.jpg (217.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 17-08-16, 12:04 PM

Default 401 B Pillar repairs

My car has the B Pillar cover riveted at the base but bent over where it meets the door face. (See the pictures) Hopefully photo attachment works. Note, I have replaced the "porthole" chassis outrigger with a simple box section. Less rust and no extra weight really.

Greg Mead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B Pillar under 2.jpg (107.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Door face.jpg (546.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg B Pillar under.jpg (595.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 30-05-18, 09:09 PM

Resurrecting this thread from a couple of years ago I just wanted to let Greg know he was quite correct about the outriggers on my 403. After further digging, I have had to repair all six outriggers and have replaced both porthole box section sills. It's been a lot of work but I've now nearly finished all the chassis welding. The worst part has been the A posts where I have had to peel away the bottom of the aluminium wings in order to get to the rotten steel. I will worry about how to deal with the aluminium later!

Mike