Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

401/403 windscreen rubber seal

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bristolian

Old 11-12-15, 12:44 AM

Default 401/403 windscreen rubber seal

Can anyone tell me where I can source the above parts?

George
Old 11-12-15, 04:31 PM

Bristol Cars will probably have these, if not try BODA they have had screen seals made for several of the cars.
Old 13-12-15, 08:47 PM

Yes, we can get these - it is a 2 part seal. There is an internal and an external strip. Ensure when fitting these that the gutter and scavenger tubes have been cleaned out. Bristol Cars, in their usual belt and braces approach, fitted gutters and scavenger tubes in the unlikely event that the screen leaked through the seals. The tubes exited any water vertically to outside the car. After all these years, many of these tubes have rotted off with unseen corrosion taking place. Hope you find this useful. John Lawley
zbigmak likes this.
Old 14-12-15, 06:22 PM

Default windscreen seal

Many thanks
I contacted Bristol Cars and they have many of the seals in stock.

In fact they are bringing in many more parts which for many years have been in long term storage so the variety of parts is greatly increasing.

I am restoring the 401 from scratch - can you tell me whether the wooden batten at the bottom of the screen is the only wooden part around the windscreen?

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Kingston View Post
Bristol Cars will probably have these, if not try BODA they have had screen seals made for several of the cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Yes, we can get these - it is a 2 part seal. There is an internal and an external strip. Ensure when fitting these that the gutter and scavenger tubes have been cleaned out. Bristol Cars, in their usual belt and braces approach, fitted gutters and scavenger tubes in the unlikely event that the screen leaked through the seals. The tubes exited any water vertically to outside the car. After all these years, many of these tubes have rotted off with unseen corrosion taking place. Hope you find this useful. John Lawley
Old 17-01-16, 09:05 PM

Default 401/403 windscreen rubber seal

I've got the inside of NXT 655 stripped out now and dismantled the trim around the windscreen just yesterday. The "wooden batten" at the bottom is in fact two pieces. There is also a vertical piece of wood each side, and two more on top. In my case the two vertical ones will need replacing presumably due to a previous windscreen leak and the wood has rotted. Unfortunately the steel underneath has rusted through on one side (only a tiny hole) and I am now wondering if I need to remove the windscreen. The seal seems in good condition, as if it has been replaced fairly recently, and I suspect the damage was done before that. So I am wondering if I can get away with de-rusting and filling with J-B weld and leaving the windcreen well alone? If I were to weld the damage I would have to take the screen out as it is so close to it. Any thoughts?

Rgds

Mike Brooks