Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

2 Litre Oil Filter Element & Tyre Pressures

Old 08-11-14, 04:24 PM

Default 2 Litre Oil Filter Element & Tyre Pressures

Gentlemen - I suspect these questions have been asked before but I cannot find the answers within the 'Forum'; so here goes.

1/ With Michelin 'X' tyres -tubed- fitted on a standard '400' what tyre pressures are owners using. I have contacted 'Michelin' themselves and received the rather peremptory reply that I should verify with the dealer from whom I bought them. Said dealer 'felt that 1.9 F and 2.1 R ( 27/30 PSI) should be about right' but I wonder....

2/ With the standard oil filter set up which in my case includes the later twin pipe outlet to plumb in an oil filter, I have been using 'Fram CH814PL' elements but mindful that it is essential to use filters which allow the oil to pass down through the centre and outwards into the canister, I would like other recommendations as I am finding the choice of elements is narrowing and the 'CH814PL' not so easy to find as formerly and I have given up trying to source the Ryco R205 here in the UK I am not willing to change the original installation to a modern 'spin -off' canister installation.

Thankyou
Old 08-11-14, 09:03 PM

Marcus ,
I assume you are using 5.50 x 16 (175x16) Michelin X tyres ,
I'm not a tyre expert but suggest you TRY them up to about 32psi on front and 34psi on rear .

Why do you want to stick with the Vokes filter assembly with the twin pipe outlets ?
It is not original for the 400 .
Even if you can source a suitable element the sealing of the element to the alloy housing is not always successful , it relies on the spring pushing the canister on to the alloy housing . If the top plate of the canister is not perfectly flat it can not seal correctly.
I found when I switched to a spin on filter my oil remained cleaner for much longer , pointing that the filter was working more efficiently than the ones in the Vokes assembly.
What 400 do you own ?
Could you please advise the chassis number ?

Regards
Geoff
Old 09-11-14, 04:25 PM

Thanks Geoff for the reply and I will try the higher pressures as advised.

Car in question is chassis no. 620

Kind regards
M